Supra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive had a leak comming from my upper rad. hardpipe for some time.
What am I doing wrong? I even bought some constant torque clamps and still dribble dribble comming from the couplers. Am I overtightening them or what anyone else have this.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
The OEM aluminum water neck gets badly corroded over time. Take it off the car and lightly sand it smooth. Usually seals right back up. If it's pitted like some I've seen I'd recommed buying a new one. Those are under $100 brand new.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
twitch69187 said:
Ive had a leak comming from my upper rad. hardpipe for some time.
What am I doing wrong? I even bought some constant torque clamps and still dribble dribble comming from the couplers. Am I overtightening them or what anyone else have this.
Even with constant-torque clamps it's possible to deform the pipe. How's the bead on that pipe? I took mine off because basically a good-condition stock hose is all you need.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
We didn't even use a bead on the 100's we manufactured and never had a leak. Even tested them on the track.

Check to see if the coupling is damaged. That was another situation we ran into on occasion. 9 times out of 10 though it's a corroded or pitted water neck.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
97 Widebody said:
We didn't even use a bead on the 100's we manufactured and never had a leak. Even tested them on the track.

Check to see if the coupling is damaged. That was another situation we ran into on occasion. 9 times out of 10 though it's a corroded or pitted water neck.

Yeah, you could get away w/o a bead in a no-pressure application but even the ebay pipes have beads. You keep assuming his leak is at the water neck, do you know something I don't?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no the leak is not coming from the water neck.
on both of the couplings they are leaking where the coupling connects to the pipe.
one coupling connects to water pipe/pipe the other radiator/pipe, where they both connect to the pipe is where it is leaking from.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
You need new couplings.... Also don't use the cheap autopart store clamps. Get the T-Bolt type.

I've seen about 8 cases of massive corrosion on that water neck that's why I always say look at that 1st. I fixed all but 1 with a little sanding.

·
Banned
397 Posts
I had a major nuisance of leaking coolant all the time. I have both the upper and lower hard pipes (the lower one was a mistake...). Anyway I purchased 2" t-bolt clamps off of ebay (it took 10!) and that fixed the problem. I went ahead and replaced all the other clamps from my intercooler system while I was at it with t-bolts. I'll soon need to replace all the silicone couplers, due to the damage the hose clamps did. Hose clamps = :ugh2:

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
i had kinda the same problem some teflon tape fixed the problem ..my real problem was that the coupling provided where not the correct size for the pipe, in the end i had to purchase new silicone couplings and that fixed everything.

sadly the shop that had my car before put the wrong ends back on and now i have to repurchase the couplings :(

·
Last stock TT on Earth
625 Posts
I had the same issue with the kit MVP sells. They give you POS worm clamps, not even good worm clamps. I bought quality t-bolts from McMaster Carr and that helped but still had small leaks. I had to wrap the connections with little pieces of white cloth to determine where the leak was coming from. I fixed the issue by adjusting the location of the clamps slightly and tightening the clamps again when the system was hot. The couplings MVP gives you are very stiff when cold and having them hot while tightening allowed them to deform and make a better seal.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I might have stopped it, yeah those clamps that mvp gives you are shit.
I bought some spring loaded clamps from turbohose.com and at first I still had leaking but like 97tt6spd said I waited till it was hot then torqued them.
thanks for the input though

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Sorry to bring this back from the dead but I just installed a new KOYO rad, and my upper rad hose keeps leaking where the hard pipe meets the rad... I have a GREDDY hard pipe, PHR 1.38" ID couplers, and Mikalor T Bolt clamps. Why does it keep leaking???

·
Inline for the win
4,776 Posts
Sorry to bring this back from the dead but I just installed a new KOYO rad, and my upper rad hose keeps leaking where the hard pipe meets the rad... I have a GREDDY hard pipe, PHR 1.38" ID couplers, and Mikalor T Bolt clamps. Why does it keep leaking???
Are you sure they 1.38" ID from PHR?

My original PHR couplers were 1.5" and went and got HPS 1.5 to 1.38" reducers for both sides. Worked like a charm with t-bolts and no leaks. I'm using the OEM water neck and Koyo as well.

DP

1 - 16 of 16 Posts