Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is some background of the original problem.... #2 stopped coming online for some reason, Id hit 11-12psi... and when #2 should come online the boost dropped to about 6psi and then eventually 0 until the next gear.. so #1 was the only one doing anything... So I was gonna try TTC...

I put generic checkvalves where necessary to go TTC, but it didnt work... (check valves were very thin, no canister like the toyota ones... ) so I think thats why they didnt work... anyhow, I wired the actuators open today and then took the car for a quick spin.. I blew off my cone filter which isnt attached perfectly.. and then the car started smoking REALLY REALLY bad.. white smoke literally pouring out... ... I let it run for a while idle until smoke cleared and turned it off... then went to drive it home, well it smokes still but it wasnt as bad on the way home... I DID pull 15+ psi though, so I have reason to believe #2 is definately coming online now and im holding boost til redline... WAY more power... than before TTC..

Anyway... who knows what is causing all this white smoke.. did I finally smoke #2 or something? I have the Bleeder T, but the T is capped with a vaccum cap so 15psi seemed about right.. that was manual mode, second gear to get it responsive in TTC... I did pull intercooler piping off and intake pipe and there was a little oil around the end of the metal piping and a little in the intercooler/intake piping, but not a shit-ton.. did I just kill the turbo.. its FINALLY boosting now, it wasnt previously.. im hoping the smoke is something OTHER than the turbo... Please help me out :(

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I also clipped all the wires that held the actuator open... but it seems like the checkvalves are holding TTC in place, because I still dont boost until 3k... despite the checkvalves failing initially... I did remove the actuator wiring though because I figured TTC was doing something bad..

btw, we just put these twins on a month ago basically, they were low to no miles according to the seller fully rebuilt and ported/polished they worked GREAT and were in excellent shape... but I did run them hard... 20-22psi for a couple weeks once the weather started giving high boost... but they are very low mileage.. :(

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm... nope, I installed the BCC like 5 months ago or so and never had a problem, I just put it in there the way it came in the box... but would TTC require a different voltage or something?... I never did Tune it and check it with a voltmeter... because it was stated that factory settings are generally fine... and I drove the car for months and it was strong... but I will get a voltmeeter and check it just in case.. because Im willing to try ANYTHING right now... is this at all possible to cause the effect im having?

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Well it wouls have anything to solve the problems you are having now, but I have a theory that if the BCC voltage is too low then the #2 would not get pre-spooled correctly (it would bascailly be like running the FFCD).
Although I have no evidence that this is happening, but if the BCC was too low it would happen. This is just a theory I have of why some people blow their number 2 right after going BPU while others are fine. Maybe someone else can tell me if I'm crazy or not ;)

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I understand what you are getting at... but I was at BPU for a while now... and I did blow #2 after going BPU... but installed these new twins a few months ago and they have been kicking ass the whole time.. very very strong... I do wish I would have checked it though, because you never know.. if im hitting fuel cut and not getting enough for the boost that would be a bad thing...

I am running rich as hell though.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I searched the forums for white smoke and valve seals... headgaskets etc came up... do you think any of these are a possibility... the wierd thing is that it just seemed to start after TTC, but #2 DOES make some boost now and the car pulls way harder than it did.. btw, all the smoke is from exhuast, not under hood... white as hell, but I was told synthetic burns white, so I guess it is probably oil since it smells like it.... damn this is getting to me :(

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
when I went racing it was a mix of about 2-3 gallons 100octane and 2-3 gallons 93... however I did that only on weekends when racing, that does make sense though... how hard is it to replace the head gasket... do you think that is the only damage that would have been caused?... the 22psi thing was over a week ago btw... It had only hit about 12 after #2 stopped coming online...

god damn weather induced boost spikes... I knew I should have taken the Bleeder T off since I dont have a boost controller... but I kept saying "ah it will be ok for a couple weeks" heh, whoops.

Ah well... I know better not to run that much boost now.. if that is the problem.

·
Run me on Nuts...
38 Posts
Before you fuck around taking the head off...

Do a leakdown\compression test.

If it is your headgasket, you will see bubbles in your radiator.

Headgasket is a bitch.

Remove entire Turbo Setup and Intake Manifold.

Basically strip everything off the head then pull it off.

Might as well get some ARP Hardware while your in there.

Suprdave

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
FUCK.... I sure hope thats not it.... BUT its ok if it is... over the winter I was going to polish EVERYTHING anyway, which means taking it all out... so this may work out just fine... I guess its possible #2 is fine and the headgasket could be the only problem?...

Also if the headgasket is blown... would that possibly cause #2 not to come online... or is that totally unrelated?... Id like to hope I find a solution and the turbos are still alive, they do both make boost now.

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
sound like one of the turbos when bad ..one of the guys had this happent o him when he replaced teh stock turbos and it was turbo #2 that has givem out on him it was mixing antifreez ....he put in a set of used turbos and all was well!

pooshda pm me !

·
Run me on Nuts...
38 Posts
I was thinking about this later...

Definately check on that second Turbo...might have blown your seals. Fucked Boost + White Smoke = 'Check that Turbo Boy'

Suprdave

S

·
0 Posts
hmm... intersting question.. sorry I cant give any advice..

but I have a quetion for you ... you said that when you went BPU your #2 went out... what did you put on .. intake exhaust boost controler... and how much boost were you running?

B

·
0 Posts
Dude, theres no way in hell that you blew the head gasket from too much boost on the stock twins. Theres just no way. What you did was destroy the #2 turbo. Mine would smoke in seq. mode only if I brought the #2 online. When I went TTC it'd smoke ALOT all the time. Time to go single...........

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes Brad... I think you may be right (time to go single) :D

Although I am PISSED OFF, and not in a financial situation to go single right this moment... (not to mention I killed these twins in 2 months... good lord) however the twins were only for temporary use since I did plan on going single anyway... I guess I gotta start ripping the car apart, using this opportunity... Winter mainly, to clean everything up while I cant drive it for about 4 months and install an SP57 or similar stock fuel/tranny ok single turbo...

I just need to find a way to get the cash, I can save a good amount of it, but I think Ill get a small loan for 'car repairs' :D

J

·
0 Posts
yep, if you had boost problems in sequential mode and if you wire it open and it starts smoking white smoke. that means the second turbo is probably shot. i would take the downpipe off and see if there coolant in the exhaust side of the second turbo. does it smell like coolant?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hey pooshda,

Mine car is running great now that I did the ttc mod, I did get some white smoke only after racing it, but I think that has to do with the ffcd. I will adjust it and see. Turbos are strong, lined it up with my friend's(strong bpu) and we were even.

·
Registered
56 Posts
my second turbo went within 50 miles of going ttc,and my car has
under 30k miles,have asked the question on here before and no one said it could be true,that ttc can cause damage,well i think itwill still be years before we perfect these cars,i dont regret going single(sp57)but i could have used
that 6k (w/stall) to build on to my house.

got a damn careless driving ticket last night
that f$%@** turbo has a quick spool

any way if it still idles right and your oil and coolant look
normal,its just the 2ond turbo

later Randy

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Randy... do you have the SP57 running on the stock tranny with just an aftermarket torque converter? I am thinking of doing that... (on stock fuel as well) until I have the money for fuel/tranny/sp63 ... did larry say the stock tranny with a TC was alright... or should I get the whole tranny upgrade... which I dont know if I can afford right now..

Thanks.. I want an SP57 pretty soon as well... how do you like it? :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts