Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haltech users what do I need to run the E6X computer on my car.
I have install at the moment a TEC II from electromotive but I am tire of the computer taking a shit on me.
I all ready have a AEM stile 4 bar map and all other electromotive sensors like TPS, RPM eye, and pressure..
I know that I will need a MSD digital 4 and special coil packs to run the Haltech.
The question is what more do I need to be sure??????

By the way I have a 95 Supra with a T88H with heavy mods done to the car…..

I am against time here I need to order this tomorrow morning to get it here in the D.R. by Tuesday I need to leave the car running by Sunday because I am going back to the states on Monday after thanks giving…..

·
Registered
1 Posts
You sure it's the TEC II? I know a handful of guys running the TEC II without problems,.. and with the exception of the fabrication required to get the crank angle sensor setup properly, I haven't heard any complaints about them. What's it doing wrong? Why do you think it's the EMS?

G

·
Last time I read up on Haltech the E6X was specific for 4 cylinders. And the only thing they had that they have new that will run it it E11.

My friends run tec 1 and 3 on their rotaries, I think its more operator error then component..

·
NSW supra club Member
475 Posts
you can run the e6x,i have had e6K on mine ant it ran fine,it just wont run sequential but waste.
you can use all original sensor but the map sensor,should be a compatible bosch unit i believe.
oem coils can be used and no mods to crank or cam sensors required(runs stock ones fine).
the rest you get with the kit(relays,wiring harness,fuse box,software ect)

G

·
MAZ,

The way that haltech had advertized the E6X was it was only set up for the 4 cylinders (mainly Nissan). I know the E6K is capable of running a 6 cylinder. well, I guess I have to read into it again..

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks every body for the response……
The Tec II is not reading the pulse of the injectors and is not activating the injectors at all.
We measure the injector pulse and it was at 12 volts constantly with out change all 6 of them.

Remember I don’t have factory sensors any more I only have the sensors that the electromotive needs to work. I have a crank trigger sensor , TPS, 4 bar map, pressure sensor, factory o2 sensor and coolant temperature sensor….
People you have to remember that the factory ignition system is not on the car any more because the electromotive have it own ignition on the computer…….

·
"Philzilla"
694 Posts
AXA said:
Thanks every body for the response……
The Tec II is not reading the pulse of the injectors and is not activating the injectors at all.
We measure the injector pulse and it was at 12 volts constantly with out change all 6 of them.

Remember I don’t have factory sensors any more I only have the sensors that the electromotive needs to work. I have a crank trigger sensor , TPS, 4 bar map, pressure sensor, factory o2 sensor and coolant temperature sensor….
People you have to remember that the factory ignition system is not on the car any more because the electromotive have it own ignition on the computer…….
The E6K works well with the High Output MSD-DIS4 and oem coilpacks. You'll also need an intake air temperature sensor, a coolant temperature sensor, a halleffect crank position sensor (your rpm 'eye' setup may work as well), and a 3 bar map sensor. To run your 4 bar map sensor, you'll need an upgraded E6K (they call it a 5-bar map upgrade, which gives you the option of running a 4, 5 or 6 bar map sensor).

I've heard that in theory the oem crank position & cam position sensors should work, but there was some difficulty if I recall correctly - something about the electrical pulses from the sensor(s) being inverted or half a wavelength out of sync. Ideally, I'd like to ditch my halleffect sensor someday, so please post back if you do get it working with the oem crank/cam sensors.

G

·
AXA, I'm not going to pretend that I know everything about the TEC system other than that several of my friends are running them (mainly Tec3). Anyhow your statement doesn't make any sense, because the injectors should have constant 12 volts with the ket on ACC position via a relay. And the injector drivers send grounding signals from the tec system, they ground the injector which completes the circuit (same as yopur coil drivers). It's possible that you have burnt the injector drivers in the ECU??

Is the computer properly reading rpm signal, because without RPM signal the TEC system may not arm the injectors.

The problem is if you switch to Haltech, you will have to put majority of the OEM components back on your car to run. You would have to remove TEC's crank trigger and replace it with the OEM one and the coils, you would be losing the advanced pick up wheel, HPV coils and built in CDI, and every other better feature.

To me Haltech, Electromotive, AEM they are all about the same, some have easier software to tune the computer DOS vs Windows etc.. (plug-n-play)

Has the car ever ran with the Tec II system? If you are having software or component problems settle it with electromotive, because replacing the entire system isn't the key. Is the mag pick up sensor installed correctly? Did you install the electromotive crank trigger wheel 52 -2 teeth wheel?

Need more info on the status of your car, and the problem you are having..

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Yes the car run the TEC II before and it made 700 HP to the wheels with it before all the last up grade I had done to the car in the last year ….
The last person how tune the car when the car was in Miami was Angel Robles from garage advance….. The thing is that the car is now in the Dominican Republic and Angel is in Orlando (Big Problem)….
The car computer was left like Angel left it after we had the engine failure (sprung Bering) on the dyno… The install was supposedly be simple just plug both end on the unit to the harness, plug inn the ignition wire to the unit and upload the software or map……
How difficult can that be ?????????

The computer is reading the RPM and all other sensors but when I call electromotive and toll them that the positive of the injectors was 12 volt they were ah I don’t think there is a problem I said what about the negative is 0 all the time with no variation, then they say you have a problem you need to send me the unit….

When I call electromotive today this is how the conversation whent::::::::

“Electromotive”::::::

“You need to send me the unit back and write a letter of what is wrong with the unit and put the invoice number of your last repair because the last time you send it you didn’t specify what was the problem with the unit and maybe the injector part of the unit was over look because of that.”

Me AXA :::::

I am like,……
I send the unit because it was completely tost and nothing was working no signal at all.
All the sensor were dead...
I was thinking to my self if you send something to get fix to the manufacture of that product you expect they will over look the hole thing and fix what ever is wrong with the unit or product after five month they took to get it back to me…..

Electromotive

Well you know that the TEC II is old and we don’t do much with them any more we have our new TEC III that you may want to upgrade……

G

·
AXA,

Telling me what you have now totally changes it all.. My initial assumption was that you weren't able to get the car running with the new system, which seemed odd because tec II is an old system.

I'm dissapointed to hear that Tec II doesn't offer a complete diagnosis for the ECU, but it's probably cost hindering.

The bad part is unless you upgrade to Tec3 or SDS, then you will have to resort to reinstalling some of the factory components back, or paying alot of money (haltech).

I would search for what a good local tuner can use and put the money in that direction, for that system.

Electromotive may have slightly crappy customer service, but Haltech is worse IMO. Search over the internet as if you had a problem with the Haltech, and good luck! It took me a week to get a responce from Hitman???

Since good money has already been spent on your car, I would consider upgrading to Tec3, or a used Tec2 ECU. Can you buy just the ECU, because the coils, crank trigger etc should all be the same??

If there's nobody locally to help you out tuning the car locally, you may have to upgrade to Tec3 and fly that guy over you bought the car, and have him tune it..

·
Registered
807 Posts
I wouldn't exactly call an SDS an upgrade ;) The Tec will get the job done, but there has to be a reason that you killed the injector drivers. Are you getting spark? Maybe your trigger is too far? There's alot of possibilities with a stnad alone.

Justin

JDMSUPRA said:
AXA,

The bad part is unless you upgrade to Tec3 or SDS, then you will have to resort to reinstalling some of the factory components back, or paying alot of money (haltech).

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
First let me thank you JDMSUPRA for all your help, your post have made me think about the situation in a different manner …
You are right I am going to keep the electromotive, do to I already have made the investment of this setup..
I will probably make the upgrade to the TEC III and take things in a calm way…
I been on the phone the hole day with various dealer and is very hard to change from this setup do to parts and sensors that the car doesn’t have any more..
I will have to spend thousand of dollars aging to get what I all ready had in the past like coils packs, ignition parts and factory harness for the AEM plus all the sensors they need.

The big question is how different is the TEC III from the TEC II ??
Will I need more sensor or other parts that the TEC II doesn’t use.
Will I be able to use my old maps use in the TEC II in the TEC III?
Because the last time I had somebody coming from another city to tune my car was not cheap imagine from another country……

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
justinn5 said:
I wouldn't exactly call an SDS an upgrade ;) The Tec will get the job done, but there has to be a reason that you killed the injector drivers. Are you getting spark? Maybe your trigger is too far? There's alot of possibilities with a stnad alone.

Justin
The car is reading the RPM fine when you tray to crank the car up...
But I will check on that any way tomorrow

·
Registered
807 Posts
if you're reading rpm, then it should be fine... you should be getting spark. it sounds like you burned up all of the injector drivers... kinda hard to do, actually. Check for spark. Have the drivers replaced.

Justin

G

·
Justin, agree that SDS is just that simple, but if you don't have anything at all, it's an alternative. Why bother if you can datalog it.

AXA, You welcome. As for the software compatability I'm not sure, but you might be able to use the input as starting point. I believe the mag sensor and wheel are all the same. Sensors, well you can use any sensor you just have to input the correct voltage and sensor type. I beleive the HPV and coils is standard for all electromotive, but to get the correct info make contact with the company. I'm sure there is an "electromotive" forum somewhere. Maybe a computer geek can change your Tec2 map to the Tec3 format if need be..

Is the selection for the injectors correct batch vise sequential etc.. Check the wiring, maybe the rats ate something, or the connector for the ECU is faulty. I believe ignition was on one plug and fuel was the other. It's been awile and don't remember to well..

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
justinn5 said:
if you're reading rpm, then it should be fine... you should be getting spark. it sounds like you burned up all of the injector drivers... kinda hard to do, actually. Check for spark. Have the drivers replaced.

Justin
The car has spark....

I will send this computer and get the new TEC III but I am a little worry about the difference between the two computers...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts