Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
wut
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last couple times I have checked my coolant level I noticed that it has been slightly lower than it should be. It is now pretty close to the low line and I am starting to get worried that I may have a coolant leak or some other issue.

I have also noticed that when I take off my oil cap that there is a tiny bit of whitish brown gooey stuff lining the top of the inside of the cap. I am wondering if this has something to do with my problem. My car does not overheat and my EGT's don't seem abnormally high.

Last year right around this time I did have my radiator totally replaced as it had developed a leak. The coolant hasn't been changed since then but is due to be very soon. I just got done looking under my car to try and find any leaks and couldn't find any. I was planning on dynoing my car tomorrow but now I am worried. Someone please help me!

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
just guessing but i think your coolant and oil are mixing sounds like you might need a gasket replaced ..best to take this to a pro shop and have them check this out ....do you see any coolant on the floor in the moring when you go to move your car?????

this could damage your motor if you dont take care of the problem!

J

·
0 Posts
sounds like a head gasket to me:( check for white smoke from the exhaust if you see this that's PROBABLY what it is

·
wut
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the replies:)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Head gaskit .... may be.
I use to see a little bit when I was in Houston in winter and that was because of moisture in the air, condensation and later came up on the oil cap. if your headgaskit is blown, you will also see oil in your coolant on top. And some time the leak in the hose may be sooo small that it willnever drip! in that case warm your car real good, shut the car off and try to listen a hissss under the hood.....

·
wut
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Zeeshan said:
Head gaskit .... may be.
I use to see a little bit when I was in Houston in winter and that was because of moisture in the air, condensation and later came up on the oil cap. if your headgaskit is blown, you will also see oil in your coolant on top. And some time the leak in the hose may be sooo small that it willnever drip! in that case warm your car real good, shut the car off and try to listen a hissss under the hood.....
You know I am starting to wonder that, too. It is the middle of winter up here in Michigan and it has been a crazy one......one day it is 20 degrees the next it is 50 degrees outside. I have been letting my car sit in the garage a lot the last 3-4 months and mainly just been starting it and letting it run everyday without driving it much. So condensation might be an issue. I haven't noticed any oil in my coolant as of yet. There isn't any evidence of leaks on my garage floor but I do however notice some sort of a hiss when my hood is up and I shut my car off after warming it up. Maybe this is what it is, sounds like it will be fun to try and find:)

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
CHANGE THE OIL NOW!

IF the head gasket is suspect, change the oil NOW. Let it stand in a bucket afterwards if it doesn't come out looking like a chocolate milkshake. Hopefully when it all settles you'll see no water but if you suspect a water oil mix get it out of there. Antifreeze will damage bearings fast so if there's a chance of it being in there get it out and don't drive it until you're sure. I too have seen a whitish film on oil caps from condensation but I don't know that I've ever seen brown stuff. Pull the dipstick at the very least looking for babypoop looking oil but sometimes it won't even show up there. Bubbles in the overflow bottle can sometimes be seen too. Don't fool around with this - a headgasket is much cheaper than full on bearings or worse :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts