Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Cheifbootknocka
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched but got the white screen of death.
Im in the market for cams for my JDM engine build. Im wondering, at what point would it benifit me to run HKS 264's over the stock USDM cams ? (I have JDM cams now)

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I changed from the US cams to the HKS 264 cams and gained 50 rwhp.

·
Cheifbootknocka
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
360rwkw said:
I changed from the US cams to the HKS 264 cams and gained 50 rwhp.
What size turbo and boost level are you running.

Thx

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
TooJayZee said:
What size turbo and boost level are you running.

Thx
That was with a Greddy T78 and 22 psi boost.

·
Cheifbootknocka
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im going single. Havent decided between a 61 or 67. I like the kick in the low end but im not sure I'll be able to plant it anyway.
So im just wondering if the cams would be worth it for 20-22psi on the 67 ?

·
Banned
378 Posts
Stock USDM cams are 256, so 264 is definitely a power upgrade. Gain will depend on boost, turbo size, and supporting mods.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Stringer Bell said:
Stock USDM cams are 256, so 264 is definitely a power upgrade. Gain will depend on boost, turbo size, and supporting mods.
If you do not honestly know what the USDM cams are, please don't give out false information. If the factory cams were 256, why would HKS even bother offering 256 cams as a upgrade to the factory. The factory camshafts have a advertised duration of below 240.

·
Stock Twins King
4,582 Posts
http://www.moreboost.org/cams.htm (credit Steve's website for this info)

As you can see the OEM USDM cams are 233/236 and JDM are 224/236.

So ya, these are the facts. The "offset" on the USDM isnt worth doing it this way as an upgrade (264/272), specially on stock twins, or with stock head/IM, IMO

·
Cheifbootknocka
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Stu Hagen said:
http://www.moreboost.org/cams.htm (credit Steve's website for this info)

As you can see the OEM USDM cams are 233/236 and JDM are 224/236.

So ya, these are the facts. The "offset" on the USDM isnt worth doing it this way as an upgrade (264/272), specially on stock twins, or with stock head/IM, IMO
Stu, what do you mean by offset ?

·
Banned
378 Posts
Alex D said:
If you do not honestly know what the USDM cams are, please don't give out false information. If the factory cams were 256, why would HKS even bother offering 256 cams as a upgrade to the factory. The factory camshafts have a advertised duration of below 240.
My bad, for some reason I was under the impression that stock cams were 256, guess not.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
61 = Insta-spool technology (invest in good tires) :beer:

·
Registered
270 Posts
I think it is well worth going to 264's with any Turbo over a 61mm especially if you have J-spec to start with and they will give you between 40-70hp increase depending on what boost level you are running. More importantly with the J-spec cams you get a noticable flattening off of power at about 6000rpm's with mid sized turbos (from my personal experience anyway i.e T66 ect) where as the 264's keep on pulling and pulling. When reving to 7500rpm with the 264's the car is incomparable power/performance wise to reving to 7000rpm with the OEM J-spec cams. I am sure they will offer even a bigger gain now with the T72. Phil.

·
Registered
270 Posts
This is exactly why many J-spec guys install US-spec cams, cheap option for a little more power and is a good idea if you are not chasing big numbers (500ish) and sticking with OEM ECU and small to mid size turbo ect. .
drift tt 23 said:
i got a set of us cams 4 sale if you want...pm me. cheap.

·
yeah thats me!
2,570 Posts
to the top, just read this good info.... what is needed to actually equip the JDM head with the USDM cams?

thanks in advance

-ian

·
!black
4,622 Posts
cassio said:
to the top, just read this good info.... what is needed to actually equip the JDM head with the USDM cams?

thanks in advance

-ian
Nothing special required to install in a JDM motor. Just swap them in.

·
BOOSTED IS300
112 Posts
so i have a aristo vvt-i motor the only cam i can swap with a usdm is the exhaust side right..because i want to keep the vvt-i

now if this is true do i also need the cam gear or can i just order the cam only ..thanx

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
The JDM exhaust cam is virtually identical to the US exhaust cam so no point swopping them.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts