Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
robot unicorn ATTACK
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

The twins on my aristo motor won't free spin when I turn them. The rear turbo is the worse out of the 2. I have to push with some effort to get it to move :( I also think that they have decent shaft play esp. the rear . . . so I have assumedly sentenced the twins to death. I know that I should just go single but I am building up the entire car so getting it rolling is more of a priority. I wanna replace them with USDM steels

Will USDM steel wheels fit in JDM housings? I know that the JDMs have slightly large turbines or something but I am thinking that they should fit.

I would really appreciate some help. Thanks

Jago

·
Registered
456 Posts
I believe the JDM turbos have a larger shaft than the USDM turbos.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
no it wont fit...the turbo housing is bigger on the jdm twins...but you can get the ceramic wheels on the jdm twin upgraded to steel wheels and be made more powerful in the process...so i would do that since you already have the jdm twin...just my 2 cents...

·
feeding your habit
4,015 Posts
there is no difference between the front and rear turbos. It would cost you an arm and a leg to swap the internals, assuming you could find someone to do it. The housings are not the same either.

Just taking the stock twins off will convince you that you don't want stock twins anymore. It's not to say that stock twins aren't nice when they are working well, but you will want more power anyway.

Get a T61 single kit from me for less than you'd pay to get a set of stock twins modified/rebuilt (reliably, that is)

Mark

·
robot unicorn ATTACK
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For real! Thanks for the replies men. I was gonna try and pick up a set off someone this evening.

no it wont fit...the turbo housing is bigger on the jdm twins...but you can get the ceramic wheels on the jdm twin upgraded to steel wheels and be made more powerful in the process...so i would do that since you already have the jdm twin...just my 2 cents...
Thanks, bro! . .. where do I get steel wheel replacement from? link, name, etc.

98mkvi, lol . . . I have already taken the twins off and yes after messing with them like that, I would love to chuck them in the garbage :D but I am more concerned about getting the beast running. How much for your T61? comes with manifold, wg, ?

Anyways, thanks so much for the help.

Cheers,

Jago

·
robot unicorn ATTACK
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looked through several pages of several different word combos on google for finding Steel replacements for the JDM twins. Can some toss me a freebee here. A name of supplier, anything .. . por favor

Cheers

·
robot unicorn ATTACK
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So umm .. . does anyone know where to get some Steel replacements for the JDM twin turbos?

·
Registered
13,584 Posts
I never heard of anybody offering that as a "kit" or standard part. You have to find somebody who will rebuild your turbos with new wheels etc. It will cost a lot more than a good condition complete used stock twins setup including the turbos and manifold and all the other parts which goes for less than a few hundred bucks. Or go single with 98mkiv's kit.

·
robot unicorn ATTACK
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Nick. I was just going to post my finding from another supramania

No one makes steel wheel replacements, though a friend in Australia got some for his 1jz.

I was planning on the single but later on some. 98mkiv has not gotten back to me bout the kit. I will just keep plugging away at the swap and run the jacked up twins until a good deal on a T61 is found. Kinda sad and funny how I spent time replacing the 15ft of vaccum line on the JDM twins already . . . didn't think to check the turbos first . .. doh.

Again thanks for the reply.

Cheers

·
Stock Twins King
4,544 Posts
This gentleman (Aaron)[email protected] Will rebuild your turbos. There is NO way that ANYTHING off a JDM set up will work on the USDM. You cant even drop just the turbo in, the clamps are even a different diameter. Let me assure you, I have spent years on these turbos.

He has a SN here, but I think he rarely looks there. He is a turbo engineer for GE. He does this on the side. I am not sure what it will cost to install the steel wheels, but if is just wheels you want, then I would guess it would cost you about $300 for the machining and parts. Maybe another $200 for shipping and Aarons efforts. This will include thrust bearings and high speed balancing. I sent Aaron a JDM set of turbos for experimentling, but I dont know what condition there are in.

Good Luck~!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts