Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
CHP's prime suspect
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey gang.. im having problems with my Supra.. I recently had the engine changed to a low mileage JDM longblock because of 3 blown cylinders and was burning oil. When i drove the car home on the freeway, it was spewing out white/blue smoke at times. At idle, you can see traces of the smoke very lightly, but at high speeds or when i take off, i leave a cloud of smoke behind. I decided to give it a couple of days, hoping the smoke will clear. I had my firend follow me yesterday and he said that a small trace of smoke is constant, just bad at certain times. The density of the smoke seems worse when im going fast.

Im running a single turbo, and its still new, and i also checked in the intercooler piping, no traces of oil. so i dont think its the turbo seals. Oil is somehow getting into the combustion chamber, not through the throttle body, but internally. Which leads me to think that its either the valve seals or the pistons/cylinders are bad.. I have no cats on my car, the car pulls fine..

The question is, can a single problem like a pcv valve be the cause of this? Are these the symptoms of a bad valve seals or a bad shortblock? Is there a period of "break in" for used blocks to burn off excess contaminants that might have gotten into the engine during its repair? :dunno:

The block is under warranty, so i'm going to have them take a look at it again, just wanted to see what you guys thought of this.. any suggestions/ opinions are greatly appreciated. Thank you

-Yosuke

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
If it smokes at start up and when you pull off from a light then its most likely vavle seals.

If its doing it all the time or when you are going fast then it could be piston rings or pistons. Compression test will tell about that though. I would say you have a bad engine.

·
CHP's prime suspect
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, during start up, there is no puff of smoke like when you have bad valve seals however, there is small traces of smoke... i think i got a faulty engine too....

·
CHP's prime suspect
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i spoke with my mechanic today, and he said that it should smoke for a while to burn off the excess oil in the system.. He wasnt sure how long though... any ideas? should i drive it around some more?

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
If there was a small amount of oil left in the engine to burn out then it usually will be gone within a few mins of normal driving. The leakdown will tell you whats up. Post the #'s.

lawrence

1 - 6 of 6 Posts