Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it ok to reuse the stock main and rod bolts or do I have to get new ones for my motor? The motor only has 76k on it.

Thanks guys

280 Posts
Is it ok to reuse the stock main and rod bolts or do I have to get new ones for my motor? The motor only has 76k on it.

Thanks guys
I would use new bolts for peace of mind.

HPF prices:
ARP Pro Series Rod Bolts for the Supra MKIV $75.85
ARP Pro Series Main Studs for the Supra MKIV $161.27

Do it once and do it right is my motto.

280 Posts
But the question still stands....can I, if I wanted too?
IMHO there is a possibility that your main/rod bolts have been cycled enough to be stretched (strained beyond the material yield strength ie the inelastic region of a stress-strain curve) and you can possibly risk rod/main bearing failure.

My answer is yes you can reuse the old bolts at a higher risk of engine failure.

·
The Great Kruso
3,875 Posts
This needs to be more a post of/ about "WHO has reused rod bolts" as anything CAN be done but at what cost?? This isn't meant to sound deep, you just arent asking the right question, you need to find people who have done it and get their input. For the record, it is NOT recommended.

Kruso

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I understand and your right. I should've asked who has used and the general consensus.

Thanks guys, I'll probably just buy new ;)

·
Toyota Master Tech
1,449 Posts
no and if you go with arp then you will need to resize the rods and line hone the mains. Or at the very least have them checked.

·
2j GT4294 stickersadd20hp
1,594 Posts
what are you HP Goals. If your not planning on going above 600 use the stockers.

·
The Great Kruso
3,875 Posts
no and if you go with arp then you will need to resize the rods and line hone the mains. Or at the very least have them checked.
Why would you need to get that done? I've replaced the rod bolts with ARP hardware without any issues, its a direct bolton.

·
Toyota Master Tech
1,449 Posts
no he is not wrong and puts engines together the right way. You dont need to but having the parts checked is what keeps you from making posts like my engine is knocking and i just rebuilt it. Toyota uses tty bolts and this makes them junk after use. This assumes you want everything perfect when you turn the key. Now if you drive a tercel and don't beat on it then fine reuse the bolts.

If you use an arp bolt then you will be bringing the bolts up to a diffrent tq spec using their moly lube. This can change the shape of the part a bit and needs to be checked afterwards you may need a simple hone for your spec or you may need to resize the rod. Call arp and ask if you doubt it.

Some guys here (not you) want to slap parts on their car in the back yard as if they are working on a small block chevy in the back yard. They pick up a toyota with 100k on it put on some "upgrades" then blow it up and make stupid posts. Just ask why it went 100k stock then 3k with "upgrades".

·
Boost Addict
799 Posts
I have personally reused stock main and rod bolts on a motor that I personally assembled, had blown up #6 ring-land (6th gear with a nice cast manifold). Re-ringed motor took a beating, withstood 30 some odd dyno pulls at 700+rwhp and probably 15k miles before I pulled again for a built 3.0. Compression was fine prior to pulling, I just got bored.

At the time I was short on cash, but if you have the money do it right and replace them with some ARP fastners.

·
The "Tactileneck"
1,168 Posts
???? is he wrong?
No he isn't, and the ones that are laughing and asking why you need to do this aren't very familiar with good engine rebuilding. It's as another posted. They usually require different torque specs and are made with different materials. This changes the way the block takes/disperses the stress. So if you have the money to do this and are building for something serious, it's a good thing to do. Do you have to do it? No, you don't. However the benefit is there if you can pay (and should) to have it done.

·
Toyota Master Tech
1,449 Posts
No he isn't, and the ones that are laughing and asking why you need to do this aren't very familiar with good engine rebuilding. It's as another posted. They usually require different torque specs and are made with different materials. This changes the way the block takes/disperses the stress. So if you have the money to do this and are building for something serious, it's a good thing to do. Do you have to do it? No, you don't. However the benefit is there if you can pay (and should) to have it done.
ahh... a breath of fresh air

·
Toyota Master Tech
1,449 Posts
I have personally reused stock main and rod bolts on a motor that I personally assembled, had blown up #6 ring-land (6th gear with a nice cast manifold). Re-ringed motor took a beating, withstood 30 some odd dyno pulls at 700+rwhp and probably 15k miles before I pulled again for a built 3.0. Compression was fine prior to pulling, I just got bored.

At the time I was short on cash, but if you have the money do it right and replace them with some ARP fastners.
you can do it but it is a gamble as the bolts were designed to be tossed after use.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you very much guys. The reason I started this thread, is because my machine guy and I were wondering since they are TTY, didnt know if we were aloud to or not.

I have already started getting prices on stockers because I dont really want to have to line hone the rods are anything and on top of that, Im not going above 600hp's anyways.

...but thank you guys again for the clarification :rockon:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts