Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Just Cruisin' Thru
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I did a search for this and didn't find the answer to my specific question. We're ready to put in a new GReddy HG. We've had the block and the head refinished. We are using the copper sealant spray just for insurance in case the finish isn't perfect. How do you use this copper stuff? Do you spray both sides of the HG completely? How many coats? Does it need to sit for awhile? Anything else we need to know?

Can you explain this to me retard style :) ?

·
i <3 fitness chicks
1,585 Posts
I'm not 100% sure on this, but if its brand new you dont even need the copper coating. The copper coating is just for if you re-use a mhg.

·
Just Cruisin' Thru
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm using it for "insurance" just in case the finish on the block and head isn't perfect. We had a machine shop do the finish and I've read on here that they don't get the finish smooth enuf.

·
The Great Kruso
3,876 Posts
Jsupra is right, you dont actually need the spray and is only needed if you are reusing the gasket, but it never hurts to have it. When ever i used it on mine I coated it twice, i think if you read the bottle it tells you that aswell.

Kruso

·
Just say no to Supras
2,292 Posts
I put it on my MHG just a few weeks ago during engine assembly. I just sprayed a good coat on each side and let it become a little tacky, and slaped it on.

·
Just Cruisin' Thru
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey, thanks! The bottle does say 2 or more coats. Like I said I needed the info retard style . :)

·
Super Moderator
10,143 Posts
I used spray copper sealant on a Grex 2.0MM and it started coming apart within weeks and I had a BHG all over again a month later, with little flecks of copper in all of my coolant.

·
the clever guy
782 Posts
I used spray copper sealant on a Grex 2.0MM and it started coming apart within weeks and I had a BHG all over again a month later, with little flecks of copper in all of my coolant.
This worries me a bit.....i ran my hks mhg for 600 miles, got rod knock, got the block refinished, and sprayed the gasket with the copper......we'll see i guess

S

·
0 Posts
If the gasket has a coating on it already, do not use the copper spray. It can interact badly with the original coating.

Since the Greddy gasket is already coated, leave it alone.

If the gasket is bare, with no coating, then use the copper stuff.

·
Just Cruisin' Thru
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the additional advice, guys, but the gasket and head are on there already. The GReddy gasket seemed like bare metal, no coating. We cleaned it with brake cleaner, sprayed the copper stuff on there and put the motor back together. I'm crossing my fingers that it's okay. If we have any probs I'll report back on here that it didn't hold.

It would suck to have copper flecks in the coolant and motor!

S

·
0 Posts
Darn, sorry for the misinformation. I mistakenly looked up the HKS gasket being coated, instead of the Greddy one.

I guess the Greddy is bare then. You'll be fine with the copper coat, so no worries. :)

·
Just say no to Supras
2,292 Posts
I wasnt planning on using it either, but when i recieved the greddy MHG, it was bare metal so i decided to go ahead and use it.

·
Just Cruisin' Thru
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
conundrum07 said:
I wasnt planning on using it either, but when i recieved the greddy MHG, it was bare metal so i decided to go ahead and use it.
Hey, conundrum07, how many miles have you put on the new HG with the copper?

·
Broke Supra Addicted Fool
767 Posts
I used the copper spray when I changed the gaskets in my JDM I used a stock headgasket with stock bolts, sprayed the block, head & gasket with the spray let it get tacky. Plopped it all together torqued it up and its been running strong at 13psi for more than 20k miles now.

·
Registered
318 Posts
FWIW I think the Greddy gasket does have some kind of coating on it. I started to clean the gasket w/ acetone and what looked like some type of black coating started to come off, so I left it alone and installed it dry.

Dale H
87T

·
greasemonkey
3,125 Posts
i have reused the 2mm hks mhg about 5 times with no problems. i just spray 3-4 decent coats on each side. if its a new gasket i wouldnt spray it on there though. shouldnt need it.
william

·
Its Me...Its Me
631 Posts
put some regular motor oil on both sides of (to treat it) it and torque it down. Dont need all that sealant crap

·
Its Me...Its Me
631 Posts
williamb82 said:
i have reused the 2mm hks mhg about 5 times with no problems. i just spray 3-4 decent coats on each side. if its a new gasket i wouldnt spray it on there though. shouldnt need it.
william
You have got to be kiddin!?!?:eek: :eek: :eek: I've never heard anyone reuse them.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts