Supra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
OG SF Member #603
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to pick up a motor/tranny and wanted some input on how best to do it. My plan is to bring an engine lift and pick the motor/tranny up and drop it in the bed of my truck. My questions are... I have the leveler for the lift and I guess the idea is to remove 4 bolts from the block and then attach the brackets of the leveler to the block w/ the bolts. Is that right? If so, what bolts are recommended to use? Should I disconnect the tranny or keep everything intact? Should I have any concerns w/ transporting the motor/tranny in the bed of my truck.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Scott

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
I'd probably disconnect the engine and tranny for ease of handling. Put each on a couple of old tires to cushion them and keep 'em from grinding around on the truck bed.

·
yeah thats me!
2,570 Posts
when i sold my old 2jzge motor what i did was use a lift, w/o a leveler and lifted from the mouning brackets.

you will need:
1.) Lift
2.) Chain

Oh yea remove the tranny. you can lift the tranny by yourself, or have some1 give you a hand if it still has the fluid and Torque Converter (Auto) <those can get heavy.

And do the tire recommendation from above and/or use come along type strap downs.
Pretty simple, good luck.

-ian

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
You can lift them both at the same time and set them on old tires in the bed of your truck. It's the same as removing it from a car, use the lift hooks.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
yep use the lift hook's and tires sound like a good idea didnt think of that..I drove from VA to MD with my motor in the bed of my truck with just a little bit of rope to keep it stable..Worked out fine jus had to drive rather slow..

·
High Performance WorkShop
300 Posts
Lift hooks + tires = perfect job !
but try to keep the chain tilted towards the front of the engine and secure it with a big screw driver , that'll keep your engine + tranny lifted straight .

·
OG SF Member #603
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys:)
I'm going to preface the next part w/ the fact that it's been over 5 years since I've looked at a 2jzgte, so......
By "hooks" do you mean the hook off the side of the valve cover on the pass. side(IIRC)? Where's the other hook(s)?
Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
fledis said:
Thanks guys:)
I'm going to preface the next part w/ the fact that it's been over 5 years since I've looked at a 2jzgte, so......
By "hooks" do you mean the hook off the side of the valve cover on the pass. side(IIRC)? Where's the other hook(s)?
Thanks again.

other hook is on driver side to the back (closer to the firewall) also on the side by the valve cover..

·
OG SF Member #603
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LexISpooled said:
other hook is on driver side to the back (closer to the firewall) also on the side by the valve cover..
Rob,
Thanks. I figured it was somewhere like that, just don't remember seeing it.
toohipsi said:
I have the hooks in my garage if you need to borrow them, just give me a call. 410-808-4409
Matt,
I'll give ya a call tomorrow evening about the hooks.
Thanks.

·
feeding your habit
4,014 Posts
FWIW, when using an engine stand, do NOT use the type that has 3 wheels (from the top view it looks like a T) they are very unstable and with the turbos haning off one side, your motor will fall to the floor. Use the type that looks like a U. In other words, it has 4 wheels, and is MUCH more stable. My motor fell, and luckily a trailer broke the fall, so all I broke was my TB. Could have been much worse.

God that was awful.

·
OG SF Member #603
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Don't have an engine stand....yet. Hoping to go straight from the lift to the car:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts