Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Read Only
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Pushing roughly 500whp on a Sp67 when daily driving. I'm leaning towards the Nittos 555R that I want to use daily with the occasionnal visits at the drag strip. What's the expected mileage I can get out of the R compound on the streets ? Is it possible to expect 5 000 miles out of these ?

Chris

·
hardtopper
2,409 Posts
I just put a set of these on my car. I hope they last. Some guys say they get as many as 10,000 miles out of them as opposed to the BFG's which they get like 1500 miles on them.

I roll with 18psi daily which is ~500whp too. I like the tires. they hook pretty well. Even if I turn the boost up they hook well.

·
Bench Racer of the Year
692 Posts
Nitto 555Rs do last pretty long. Expect around 6-8,000 miles out of them if you're going to be the standard Supra driver (a few trips to the track, a few burnouts, etc).

Regards,
Brian

·
Registered
591 Posts
I had 555r's on my cobra and got almost 12,000 miles out of them, only made about a dozen passes at the track and hardly ever burned them out.

·
Registered
230 Posts
i'm running them now and have gotten 10K miles on them so far.... still have about 50% tread left... I run the car hard but neer go to the track... i do my fair share of burnouts and sliding around some turns and they seem to hold up well.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
I had them on my '02 camaro for over 10k miles, but I never burned out on them.

·
Na Zdrowie
958 Posts
I am running Nitto drag radials on my car. I've had them on for over 3-4k miles and there is still plenty of rubber left. My car is not a daily driver, only summer time, and I have zero complaints.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
I'm interested in a set but I'm not sure how their fit typically runs. I have wheels on the way...they are 18 x 10.5 rears with a +43 offset. What size 555R would you guys recommend for these? I would prefer not to roll fenders if that is an option. Sorry if I'm jackin your thread.

Justin

·
BoosT AddicT
238 Posts
I'm only BPU but i've been running them for about 12,000 miles and they're toast.. Going to buy another set. no complaints here either. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
230 Posts
I'm running 10.5's as well and i use 285's by 35's but i hear that the 295's fit just as good without rolling the fenders...

·
Registered
230 Posts
i know they WERE for sale i'm not sure if they discontinued them or not but i've def seen them for sale before.....

·
Boost Junkie
12,692 Posts
285/35/18 will work wonderfully.

Steve K.

·
900 BHP Club :)
4,923 Posts
Just ordered a set of 275/40/17's. Can't wait to test these babies out!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
DrMike said:
Just ordered a set of 275/40/17's. Can't wait to test these babies out!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
At BPU I got 80+ eleven second passes complete with burn-outs
from my last set. About 7,000 miles to go with the 1/4 mile passes.
A good 24/7 solution.
I recently went single and put some M+H 275/50/17's on. These
hook much better but I don't know how they will wear. They don't
feel as stable through the twisties as the Nitto's. I really like the 28"
height of the M+H's.
Wayne

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
WayneCar said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
At BPU I got 80+ eleven second passes complete with burn-outs
from my last set. About 7,000 miles to go with the 1/4 mile passes.
A good 24/7 solution.
I recently went single and put some M+H 275/50/17's on. These
hook much better but I don't know how they will wear. They don't
feel as stable through the twisties as the Nitto's. I really like the 28"
height of the M+H's.
Wayne

They don't feel as stable due to more sidewall flex. The bigger the sidewall the less response you get out of the tires.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Alex D said:
They don't feel as stable due to more sidewall flex. The bigger the sidewall the less response you get out of the tires.
Alex,
Yes the taller sidewall as well as a sidewall designed to give more
flex on the launch gives up some stiffness. With 32lbs of air pressure
they are not bad at all though. Even 1st gear roll punhes at 23lbs
of boost have very controled tire spin(On a warm surface at least).

The Nitto's handle almost as well as a regular radial as long as you
have ~28lbs of air pressure. My experience has only been with the
275/40/17 size but I've gone through 9 sets of these on 6-speed
and automatic Supras. A good compromise in many ways. Watch out
for wheel hop with a 6-speed in cold weather though. It can be quite
severe.
Wayne

·
900 BHP Club :)
4,923 Posts
How are these for 4 hour road trips doing 70 mph? Do they wear faster?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts