Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible and how much work to do a V-160 swap on my 91'?
Sorry is this is a stupid question.

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
Possible, but difficult. You would need a custom bellhousing to mate the transmission to the M-series block (current bellhousing is for the JZ-series block). You also would need to do some work with the shifter linkages to make the shifter fit nicely in the stock shifter hole. And you'll need custom transmission mounts, as well as a custom driveshaft. Oh yeah, your stock rear end ratio would be worthless unless you want a 5-speed with an extra granny gear

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
ma71supraturbo said:
Possible, but difficult. You would need a custom bellhousing to mate the transmission to the M-series block (current bellhousing is for the JZ-series block). You also would need to do some work with the shifter linkages to make the shifter fit nicely in the stock shifter hole. And you'll need custom transmission mounts, as well as a custom driveshaft. Oh yeah, your stock rear end ratio would be worthless unless you want a 5-speed with an extra granny gear
I thought our 4th gear was 1.00:1, isn't it? That's what the MKIV's 5th gear is,

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
the MKIVtt has a 3.2/1 final drive. Ours is 3.9 87-88 and 3.7 89-92.

MKIV tt gear ratios:

1st: 3.03
2nd: 2.36
3rd: 1.59
4th: 1.31
5th: 1.00
6th: 0.79

MK3 gear ratios:

1st: 3.25
2nd: 1.95
3rd: 1.31
4th: 1.00
5th: 0.75

Looks like I am incorrect, the 1st gear is actually taller with our transmission. But our 5th gear is also slightly lower. Basically it looks like you would be paying for having the mkiv's 2nd and 3rd gear replace our mkiii's 2nd gear.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Will I have to modify the tranny hump?
Does anyone have this done yet?

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
sccasupra said:
Will I have to modify the tranny hump?
Does anyone have this done yet?
1 year ago if you asked everyone would have said yes, but apparently someone has done this without modifying the tunnel (aside from the shifter hole). The install went into a right-hand drive vehicle, but I think it should be the same for LHD.

·
Go All Electric
1,183 Posts

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
Powerhousejimbo sold a 7m-v160 bellhousing a while back IIRC. I think someone from socal got their hands on one too but they're remaining tight lipped

·
Registered
67 Posts
ma71supraturbo said:
Powerhousejimbo sold a 7m-v160 bellhousing a while back IIRC. I think someone from socal got their hands on one too but they're remaining tight lipped
The v160 doesn't have screws in the front like the 7m.IMO you would have to cut the front of the v160 and weld on the 7m bellhousing.my $0.02

1 - 13 of 13 Posts