Supra Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,197 Posts
These aren't uncommon on ebay, unfortunately the 1GZ-FE isn't anything close to a drop in for an A70 or A80 chassis. It also takes a LOT of work to make ready for big HP (also, friendly reminder that direct eBay links are generally not allowed due to spammers)

There's a company in Australia called WTF auto that makes a conversion kit that ran about $6000 USD, included some very nice billet oil pan/sump parts, a custom pulley and oil pump set with a custom harmonic damper, lots of parts really. All required to fit in an A80 engine bay.

Then the engine needs to be built if you want any kind of FI, as the stock rods fail at a very low power level. Top End Performance offers a rod/piston kit for around $5300 then you need ARP hardware and all that good stuff.

Then there's figuring out the intake manifold and any other parts needed for boost, as well as custom exhaust manifolds to suit turbos or whatever you're doing. Then the turbo kit itself.
Then all the usual fuel system (12 injectors) and other engine management stuff to run the engine.

After that, still need to figure out a transmission/clutch as the 1GZ-FE only came with an auto.

Then all the misc parts you'll need along the way that are collectively impossible to guess at for a custom build like this.

So if someone had around $30k-40k+ burning a hole in their pocket, one of those $2500 ebay 1GZ-FE engines might make for a cool project.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My bad for the eBay link. I thought it might be interesting if someone was willing to do what Smokey did. But for that price, I would just modify the 2JZ!

·
Registered
1987 Toyota Supra
640 Posts
I was going to say sweet boat anchor, but Wreckless put a bit more detail to it. :)

That engine reminds me of the huge H-6 in my Tribeca.
That engine me gives me about 1 inch of space between the head and frame rail to change the spark plugs.
I imagine this V12 would be quite a nightmare to shoehorn into any supra chassis.

Though a guy on Celicasupra forums jammed one into a MKII. So anything is possible.

·
Super Moderator
11,197 Posts
My bad for the eBay link. I thought it might be interesting if someone was willing to do what Smokey did. But for that price, I would just modify the 2JZ!
There's at least a half dozen or so 1GZ-FE JZA80 Supras around the world, including Smoky's original TS build.

Also at least two MKII's, since the MA61 has a front sump configuration you can largely drop the powertrain in as-is with some custom mounts and other fuckery. Starting with an auto trans equipped MKII and leaving the 1GZ-FE in basically stock form would be the easiest and most straightforward Supra conversion for sure.

·
Hardcore Night Warrior
2,691 Posts
I've been thinking about a 1GZ A70 hardtop for sometime. I wouldn't even do a forced induction build either. I've been thinking of a JZ70R type build for a 91 or 92. No time attack/ track, no drift missile, nothing "crazy". Just a V12 Mk.III as it should be. :) 1991 JZA70 Supra Twin Turbo R – Japanese Classics
Something that looks like this, just with more suspension mods/ tuning and a naturally aspirated V12. My "only" concern is getting (sourcing) more top end power/increasing rev range to suit a Supra/sporting endeavor by the way of cams, and I suspect heads that flow and utilize more lift/air while retaining VVT-i! . I don't think a forged bottom end is necessary for my idea, but it's available. Top End Performance - TOYOTA 1GZFE V-12 Piston and Rod Packages

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I'm not gonna rule it out entirely. Megan loves Aston Martins, the idea of a v12, and we both rather appreciate things that sound good. Hard to say if she would be interested, but glad to see that WTF finally got their products to market. I believe they were intending to sell manifolds as well, though I haven't watched their channel in months.

@chevydude There's a guy on youtube that has one of these, with ITB's, in an old Corona. It sounds glorious. He uses it for uh... some interesting purposes:

·
Hardcore Night Warrior
2,691 Posts
There's a guy on youtube that has one of these, with ITB's, in an old Corona. It sounds glorious. He uses it for uh... some interesting purposes:

That Corona looks pretty nice. I think ITB would be the easy way to go for engine swapping. A cross over pipe, so the banks can converge, I think would be best. The four tri-y stock manifolds don't lend itself to a nice song. I like the exits being on the passenger and driver side right in front of the rear wheels, essentially "behind" the doors. Having the exits there is great for the auditory experience as it envelops the cabin with sound. It's a very refreshing and invigorating experience. With that being said, I'd use an h-pipe to converge the banks to try and get more a "lumpy" growl from the 1GZ. H-pipe, then send it to the sides in front of the rear wheels as noted earlier.

·
Hardcore Night Warrior
2,691 Posts
Or, just do it "old school" and use a y-pipe to have it meet a Blitz Nur-Spec. ;)

Reactions: Mr Ree NZ

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I think it'd be a great engine NA for a Mk3. The thing makes 300+ ft-lbs pretty much off idle and through the entire rev range from there. It fits the Mk3 character so nicely... Classic Japanese Aston Martin, anyone?

Too bad it's a lot of work and investment on account of the oil pan being front sump.

@Mr Ree NZ So uh... is this what things are like in NZ? :p

Reactions: chevydude

·
Hardcore Night Warrior
2,691 Posts
I think it'd be a great engine NA for a Mk3. The thing makes 300+ ft-lbs pretty much off idle and through the entire rev range from there. It fits the Mk3 character so nicely... Classic Japanese Aston Martin, anyone?

Too bad it's a lot of work and investment on account of the oil pan being front sump.
I got this notion of a n/a Mk.3 in your head it seems, but not a bad thing to have bouncing around in there. V12 really does fit the Mk. 3 character so nicely, especially if it were hardtop, manual, and leather interior. I've already got ideas for the leather interior too. :D
Yup, a really nice Toyota V12 powered luxury grand tourer.

Speaking of this concept, I was bouncing around transmission pathways for this very idea; and the one that stuck with me was get this, a W58! It's a slick and smooth trans. Yes, it doesn't hold the same power as the R-154, but I think it'd be a nice combination of V12 smoothness and W58 smoothness, aside from that, power output of the 1GZ would still be doable. I think the gearing might be more fun too?

Reactions: Dumeinao

·
From the land down under
4,626 Posts

@Mr Ree NZ So uh... is this what things are like in NZ? :p
Yeah, thats pretty much how things are down here for the most part, although we just finished construction of our countries first 3 storey building, which also has working sewerage and fresh water supply, so things are on the up and up it seems :)

Still on 56k modems, but I guess thats the price we pay for living on the bottom of the planet...

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I got this notion of a n/a Mk.3 in your head it seems, but not a bad thing to have bouncing around in there. V12 really does fit the Mk. 3 character so nicely, especially if it were hardtop, manual, and leather interior. I've already got ideas for the leather interior too. :D
Yup, a really nice Toyota V12 powered luxury grand tourer.

Speaking of this concept, I was bouncing around transmission pathways for this very idea; and the one that stuck with me was get this, a W58! It's a slick and smooth trans. Yes, it doesn't hold the same power as the R-154, but I think it'd be a nice combination of V12 smoothness and W58 smoothness, aside from that, power output of the 1GZ would still be doable. I think the gearing might be more fun too?
Actually, I had a line on a black Mk3 with brown interior a few years back. It fell through, but had I picked it up, a 1GZ swap was definitely in consideration, NA, with daily driver dreams. No garage space at the time, so I couldn't really justify it, and someone else got to it before I did anyhow.

As for the W58... it's a great transmission, but I worry that the low rpm grunt of the V12 would nuke it pretty fast. It's been a while since I last drove a T56, are they smooth? All I recall of mine was that I could bang gears with reckless abandon and it just took it.

Yeah, thats pretty much how things are down here for the most part, although we just finished construction of our countries first 3 storey building, which also has working sewerage and fresh water supply, so things are on the up and up it seems :)

Still on 56k modems, but I guess thats the price we pay for living on the bottom of the planet...
You laugh, but that could just as easily describe Wyoming, where I live. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I'm calling your bluff @Mr Ree NZ on the "first three story building" part, I've seen the castle of Gondor. :p

·
From the land down under
4,626 Posts
I'm calling your bluff @Mr Ree NZ on the "first three story building" part, I've seen the castle of Gondor. :p
Yeah but that was in a ridiculously big budget film, so money was no object*

The genral public cant afford such niceties...once we milk our cows and swap that milk with a butcher for some meat, there isnt much left in the kitty. Looking on the bright side though, all our larger towns have great views as none of the skyline is blocked by big buildings :)

* truth be told, I had a few close friends here working on building the sets for LOTR, and that castle was made from a lot of expandable foam and plywood, then painted. :eek:

·
Premium Member
1987 MA71 R154 Pearl White, Blue Velour
627 Posts
56k modem. Dang, I haven't used one of those, even for work, since..... :unsure: 2002 maybe? I would be more surprised actually the ISP has one for you to connect with.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Now you've really got me a bit puzzled @Mr Ree NZ and I don't know whether or not you're kidding or not. Consider me bamboozled. :)

That isn't the least bit surprising about the castle sets on LOTR. I mean, to build an actual structure that size out of stone would cost an absolute fortune in materials and labor. Man, to sit around a campfire with your friends and listen to the tales of that production...

@Dumeinao Still an option where I live. Not a great one, given what modern internet is like, but it's the only option some folks have other than satellite. Welcome to the middle of nowhere.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts