Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like many others I was planning on setting aside my OEM 6 Speed drivetrain to opt for the T56 + 9" swap.

But recently I was able to get my hands on this very rare Albin's billet center case & Sucker Punch shifter. So, plans have changed.

I want to use this thread to document my build/experience & heavy abuse I plan on putting the drivetrain through.

I'm currently waiting on my revised v161 3-4 hub from Neat Gearboxes, carbon fiber synchros, & sprayer assembly.

Full Disclosure: I DO NOT, recommend this path for those of you planning to make over 700wtq and consistently race/abuse your build.
I am local to a famous V160 builder(Joe) & was lucky enough to get my hands on some rare parts.
PXL_20210720_154159190.jpg
PXL_20210720_154205921.jpg
PXL_20210720_154228236.jpg
PXL_20210502_161413313.jpg

·
Administrator
9,285 Posts
Awesome, side note, how does one get a hold of Joe?

·
Super Moderator
10,926 Posts
I can't wait to see what this looks like. Sprayer? As in lubrication sprayer with a circulating pump and a cooler? Details, please!

Get on Social Media and start complimenting Porsches or Mercedes sports cars - he'll find you ;)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can't wait to see what this looks like. Sprayer? As in lubrication sprayer with a circulating pump and a cooler? Details, please!

Get on Social Media and start complimenting Porsches or Mercedes sports cars - he'll find you ;)
Basically, if you're familiar with Vlad's(Natl. Speed) setup, it's very similar.
As you can see the center case has 2 bungs. An inline filter & pump will be ran and controlled by my AEM Infinity. Since my car will occasionally be driven on the street, a cooler will be necessary to deal with the higher temps generated by the pump. I'm not sure where this cooler will be mounted, probably behind my rad, or under the center case.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Really like the idea of having a cooler. Will the pump run 100% of the time or under a particular load, rpm, temperature, etc? Can you vary the pump speed through the AEM?

·
Registered
793 Posts
It's been a few years since I looked around at sequential options, but maybe we should start nudging some of them to look at doing a run of them for this engine considering the value of the cars now, and how much power people are pushing through them regardless of chassis. If I could buy a box with a 1-4 dog cut, and an OEM ratio 5th and 6th for a couple of different rear ends, I would, and I think a lot of others would as well.

Reactions: minus500

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Getting a hold of Joe isn't the problem. It's him having the bandwidth to take on new jobs. I messaged him a few years ago to rebuild my V160 and he was too busy. Eventually took it to Jared @ SpeedforSale before they closed shop.

·
Super Moderator
10,926 Posts
Basically, if you're familiar with Vlad's(Natl. Speed) setup, it's very similar.
As you can see the center case has 2 bungs. An inline filter & pump will be ran and controlled by my AEM Infinity. Since my car will occasionally be driven on the street, a cooler will be necessary to deal with the higher temps generated by the pump. I'm not sure where this cooler will be mounted, probably behind my rad, or under the center case.
A setup I particularly liked was a Japanese Wangan build that had a 10 or 12-row cooler for the V160 in the right side rear side duct, with ductwork to match, and an identical job mirroring it on the left side duct for the rear diff. Had the pumps mounted up in the rear subframe area so they weren't just riding along the bottom of the car.
Being a JDM job meant that they'd just ran the V160 cooling through the fill and drain plugs, no fancy Albins center case :)

IIRC the rest of the car was a very Japanese build - 8.5:1 HKS 3.4L with HKS 280's and a GReddy T88-38GK making '900ps' on that Japanese 100RON pump premium.

·
Administrator
9,285 Posts
A setup I particularly liked was a Japanese Wangan build that had a 10 or 12-row cooler for the V160 in the right side rear side duct, with ductwork to match, and an identical job mirroring it on the left side duct for the rear diff. Had the pumps mounted up in the rear subframe area so they weren't just riding along the bottom of the car.
Being a JDM job meant that they'd just ran the V160 cooling through the fill and drain plugs, no fancy Albins center case :)

IIRC the rest of the car was a very Japanese build - 8.5:1 HKS 3.4L with HKS 280's and a GReddy T88-38GK making '900ps' on that Japanese 100RON pump premium.
Just went from 6 to 12 o'clock.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Getting a hold of Joe isn't the problem. It's him having the bandwidth to take on new jobs. I messaged him a few years ago to rebuild my V160 and he was too busy. Eventually took it to Jared @ SpeedforSale before they closed shop.
yup, the local stuff takes priority. Vlad & the T1 Supra were able to get their setups pretty quick. They're also both record chasing cars, so again, priority...
Also, he's just 1 pretty fucking awesome and skilled motherfucker working out of his garage.

·
Super Moderator
10,926 Posts
yup, the local stuff takes priority. Vlad & the T1 Supra were able to get their setups pretty quick. They're also both record chasing cars, so again, priority...
Also, he's just 1 pretty fucking awesome and skilled motherfucker working out of his garage.
FTFY. Joe's a good dude.

Reactions: Brotato

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Really like the idea of having a cooler. Will the pump run 100% of the time or under a particular load, rpm, temperature, etc? Can you vary the pump speed through the AEM?
It would be possible to use PWM to vary pump speed, depending on the pump. But I don't think that'll be necessary. I think it'll run 100% of the time, at low or medium load/duty cycle.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
It's been a few years since I looked around at sequential options, but maybe we should start nudging some of them to look at doing a run of them for this engine considering the value of the cars now, and how much power people are pushing through them regardless of chassis. If I could buy a box with a 1-4 dog cut, and an OEM ratio 5th and 6th for a couple of different rear ends, I would, and I think a lot of others would as well.
Have you checked out HGT? I'd love to go that route, but I'm also pretty fond of having a roof without wheels over my head, so... gotta choose one or the other. The house allows me a place to stay AND a place to work on the cars, so mortgage payment it is. But if I had 16k sitting around... and didn't mind the maintenance interval, which isn't that bad, I'd jump on it in a heartbeat. Talk about an autocross hero setup!

@Brotato May I ask, what makes this center section special? I thought being billet was for the benefit of weight savings, but for all the larger it is, and from what I can tell the rest of the case is already aluminum, so... is it the extra ports that makes it special?

·
Registered
793 Posts
Also just bought a house so I'm broke as shit chasing stuff like a busted water heater and HVAC units that need to be replaced.
Yeah, HGT is on my list. Was actually thinking about trying one out on a lesser demanding chassis in the future just to see if I liked it. Last thing I want to do is blow up a drivetrain pushing the limits of what the manufacturer says their transmission can handle in a chassis that is becoming a unicorn as time marches on. I tagged the oil pan in my NA Miata, spun a bearing, so I am going to K-swap it because it needs a new subframe anyway. The HGT box is on my dream build list just to try it out, and I think that chassis and engine combo would be pretty sick for it. Did their prices go up? I thought they were closer to 10k? Either way it's cheaper than Ricardo or others that are closer to 30-40k. Lemme ask my brother, pretty sure he is/was a dealer for them. There's a sequential box in the shop I've tripped over a couple of times, but I think it's for a GTR. They're so small and cute, kinda trippy (hey!) how much power they can handle.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Joe is good people. He answered a series of questions I had regarding the V160. I recently had to drop my trans due to a small leak. Trans was leaking from the bell housing/center case. He offered to take my trans on for billet center case installation. Unfortunately none of the vendors returned my emails regarding purchasing a billet center case. Sad day when $2k+ casing doesn't warrant a follow up.

During the same time I was inquiring about the billet case, I reached out to HGT. Their bare trans is $12,500. You will also need a series of other parts to get it installed (bolt in kit). Landed to the US you're looking at $17k+ and that does not include a drive shaft. Also requires a lead time of 4-6 weeks. I believe the price to be reasonable for what you're getting but wait time was out of the question for me.

I decided to reseal the trans myself and reinstall. Having my MKIV in pieces for a extended period of time is not a option for me. One day I will have to deal with the issue of rebuilding my v160 and or moving onto a sequential base setup. While grannas T56 is nice, I consider that a huge down grade to this chassis.

·
Super Moderator
10,926 Posts
I was pretty impressed with one AZ Supra owner's Samsonas sequential setup in his car. RAD Dan runs one as well IIRC, and the full setup (pre covid anyway) was $8k ish if memory serves.

Anyone else out there running one, or know what the current prices are like?

Have you checked out HGT? I'd love to go that route, but I'm also pretty fond of having a roof without wheels over my head, so... gotta choose one or the other. The house allows me a place to stay AND a place to work on the cars, so mortgage payment it is. But if I had 16k sitting around... and didn't mind the maintenance interval, which isn't that bad, I'd jump on it in a heartbeat. Talk about an autocross hero setup!

@Brotato May I ask, what makes this center section special? I thought being billet was for the benefit of weight savings, but for all the larger it is, and from what I can tell the rest of the case is already aluminum, so... is it the extra ports that makes it special?
The billet center case is much stronger and more rigid than the stock cast center case, and thereby more resistant to bending/cracking/gear deflection. Big power guys doing 1/2 mile and similar events were sometimes cracking the center case.
Basically it makes the already strong-AF V160 into something that much stronger.

994 Toyota 1994 Supra MkIV JZA80 6 Speed Manual J-Spec - 888bhp soon to be 1100bhp+
1 Posts
I’ll be looking at similar this winter, I have a special company here in the UK who are going to start to build these centre cases for me and others in the Supra community, for us 6 speed manual guys.
Mad it seems they are getting harder to find or non existent so I’d love to explore this avenue. I’m going to see if the’ll make the diff case and the trans brace centre bit too.
If you guys can’t get those and I get these made let me know and I’ll see if somehow (however possible with allowances on here) if we can get some kind of group buy for some of these 6 speed parts.
Looking forward to following your cooling set up on yours OP 🙌

1 - 20 of 25 Posts