Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
216 Posts
easily done with the right parts. people do it all the time.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know its been done before on GTE, but what exactly do you need for just the NA. Do the same feautres from the GTE engine still the same? By features i mean the ECU, differential for gear ratios, left axel.

·
Master Yos
2,215 Posts
im gathering up all the parts i need diff axles pedals cluth presure plate flywheel other than that im ready to go:)

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Which ECU are you going with? Since im broke ass hell right now i cant afford a GTE or standalone-ECU which do you recommend i go with for NA setup?

·
2JZ NA-T
5,413 Posts
^^ hey man sory but..... why are you asking if this is possible or not if you were participating in a thread just a week or so ago about the v160 on the NA? just wondering.....

but here is wat you need.... as far as i know/have for my swap

i have the AEM EMS. so you need either standalone or TT ECU from what i know

Im keeping my NA rear end so here is wat i got for the parts:

TT driveshaft
v160
TT flywheel w/bolts
TT clutch
TT slave cylinder
v160 shifter assembly
TT Diff Companion Flange

both of the NA axles will work just fine with the TT differential if that is what you are getting, there are a couple of people that have done this and confirm this.

if you are too tight on budget and cant afford a TT LSD Diff, you can get the Open Diff out of the lexus GS400 i belive for just a few hundered dollars, and later down the road swap the TRD LSD into it.

driveability wise.... i will let you guys know how the car drives and what it does at certain rpm with the V160 and the NA diff.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah i thought i had the facts right till someone told me that the NA would have problems on a regular 6spd ecu and left me confused. I also thought that the left axel had to be replaced?

·
2JZ NA-T
5,413 Posts
no, v160 IS the 6speed from the turbo MKIV, the turbo MKIII tranny is the r154, thats the 5 speed.
for the r154 swap i think i heard something about boostlogic putting together a kit for around 2500 bucks which includes EVERYTHING you need to bolt it right up, only thing you need to provide is the r154 core i belive.... dont take my word for it....

the v160 6speed varies in cost.... i THINK its 4grand new, might be more, but thats just for the tranny, its gona cost you around 1000 dollars just for the shifter assembly and the slave cylinder and all that, plus you need a TT driveshaft, TT Flywheel, and TT clutch, if keeping the NA rear end you'll need the TT Companion Flange. if not keeping the NA rear end , you'll need about another 1400 bucks for a USED TT diff.

SupraSE997, i thought that the axel had to be replaced too, but there are no people that have tried running the NA axles with the TT diff and siad that it works just fine. Although i dont see a point in keeping them..... if you paying 1300+ for a diff might as well spend that extra 200 bucks to get the TT axels just to be on the safe side and not half-ass a project

·
Registered
131 Posts
I've got a good idea....Someone should make a sticky that details the parts needed to do a 5 speed to 6 speed swap as well as an auto to 6 speed swap.....I'm sure this is something that comes up very frequently...especially with the search down....Maybe someone could do this?

·
Registered
870 Posts
no, v160 IS the 6speed from the turbo MKIV, the turbo MKIII tranny is the r154, thats the 5 speed.
for the r154 swap i think i heard something about boostlogic putting together a kit for around 2500 bucks which includes EVERYTHING you need to bolt it right up, only thing you need to provide is the r154 core i belive.... dont take my word for it....

the v160 6speed varies in cost.... i THINK its 4grand new, might be more, but thats just for the tranny, its gona cost you around 1000 dollars just for the shifter assembly and the slave cylinder and all that, plus you need a TT driveshaft, TT Flywheel, and TT clutch, if keeping the NA rear end you'll need the TT Companion Flange. if not keeping the NA rear end , you'll need about another 1400 bucks for a USED TT diff.

SupraSE997, i thought that the axel had to be replaced too, but there are no people that have tried running the NA axles with the TT diff and siad that it works just fine. Although i dont see a point in keeping them..... if you paying 1300+ for a diff might as well spend that extra 200 bucks to get the TT axels just to be on the safe side and not half-ass a project
Ravan thanks for the reply! but if i already have a NA 5speed would i need
shifter assembly and the slave cylinder??? the flywheel and tt clutch i would go aftermarket.

thanks again!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They have made this topic into an article its at MKIV.com I think i might try out the V160 with the NA rear since i wont be swaping in a GTE anytime soon anyway. Thanks for the feedback Raven.

·
2JZ NA-T
5,413 Posts
^^ no problem. I too will be swapping the v160 with the NA rear DIFF, i will definatley let you guys know how it drives and all that.

MinnesotaR6, you will still have to swap out the slave cylinder AND the shifter assembly, teh v160 shifter assembly is slightly different so the 5speed shifter doesnt work... i dont think... i will be able to post pics of the swap and all the parts in a couple of weeks when i get all my parts, maybe i'll sit down and do a write up to make a sticky out of all the parts needed to do this swap.

also for the after market clutch and flywheel for the swap, they ahve to be for the TT model supra

·
Lexotic Garage
1,470 Posts
I did this swap in Oct 2006. It was VERY easy if you have all the parts, good tools and common sense. I should have a post in here in the top 10 pages concerning my swap.

·
NeverGiveUp
636 Posts
id say if money is no object and time and labor is not a prob for u then go for it!
I was gonna swap,but..Im jsut gonna sell and buy a tt speed.To much money for me to swap everything i have an auto n/a so its worse for me lol

1 - 20 of 29 Posts