Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone replaced one of these with the tranny still in the car?

I need to replace mine and I can see zero way of doing it - unless Toyota makes a tool to do it with.

Anyone?

Reactions: SilkE

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bueller.............................. Bueller.....

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BCnNC said:
Falls Lake??
Damn - why didn't I think of that! Thanks brutha. :D

·
Supra Owner Since 1996
2,723 Posts
Are you refering to the breather valve? Which is just a tin cap and felt.

Reactions: SilkE

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hands On said:
Are you refering to the breather valve? Which is just a tin cap and felt.
Yep - but I didn't realize it was felt. When mine came apart - I saw a spring and a small plastic disk which sealed the hole. The pressure would compress the spring - vent the pressure - then the spring would press the plastic disc back over the vent.

Anyway - yea thats what I'm referring to. Right now mine is vented (long story) .. I had to take the tin cap off in order to keep my tranny from puking fluid because my breather was stuck closed. It only took me 2 rear seals on the tranny to figure that out.

But now I want to replace it with a functioning one - but don't want to drop the tranny to do it - but it's in such a bad place I can't see any way to get to it unless there is a special tool to get to it.

Any ideas?

Thx
Jim

Reactions: BCnNC

·
Supra Owner Since 1996
2,723 Posts
I highly doubt there is a special tool made to remove it. The bottom of it has tabs that are bent over I believe. Looks like you will have to keep opening your fill plug from time to time to release the pressure.

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hands On said:
I highly doubt there is a special tool made to remove it. The bottom of it has tabs that are bent over I believe. Looks like you will have to keep opening your fill plug from time to time to release the pressure.
Mine is vented right now - I've put a make-shift filter to keep debris from getting into the tranny. I'd prefer to have the oem on there - but the only way to get to it is to drop the tranny - so I guess it will wait until I do a clutch change.

If it weren't vented - it would be puking oil out the rear seal... ask me how I know. :(

As the oil heats from driving - after about 15 minutes it's created enough pressure to force it out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts