Supra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Time for change
6,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a TT, transmission needs a rebuild within 6 miles of pulling it off the trailer. (Of course it does)...

Rear main seal had a bit of leakage putting some oil on the clutch, so my clutch and flywheel are all burned up... as well. Sigh.

So now I'm looking for a clutch suggestion that's good for 650whp somewhere around there 550-600+ wheel torque all day long.

I don't mind a 6 puck, but I do NOT want firm pedal pressure. Can't afford a double or triple disc.

Looking for recommendations, I believe Reid Dawson said Clutch Masters Stage 4 6 puck, that sounds fine, but I don't know how much firmer the pedal pressure is over stock. I'm looking for as minimal pedal pressure over stock as possible.

Thanks for the help in advance guys.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have heard that a worn out stock pedal feels heavier than a new stock pedal. That being said what you feel now on a worn out pedal may feel heavier than even a slightly heavier stock pedal. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
I have heard that a worn out stock pedal feels heavier than a new stock pedal. That being said what you feel now on a worn out pedal may feel heavier than even a slightly heavier stock pedal. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

how is a worn out clutch heavier than a stock clutch? if the clutch is worn it won't grab as hard and the amount of pressure is dependent on the pressure plate, and somehow the pressure plate gaining pressure with a worn out clutch doesn't make a whole lot of sense. where did you hear that from?

·
Registered
280 Posts
how is a worn out clutch heavier than a stock clutch? if the clutch is worn it won't grab as hard and the amount of pressure is dependent on the pressure plate, and somehow the pressure plate gaining pressure with a worn out clutch doesn't make a whole lot of sense. where did you hear that from?
Bent or broken fingers happened on my M3 (these were bent compared to the new clutch) and 300zx TT (these were broken but so was everything else on the car). You have to push the clutch in further to get the same amout of throw out as before, and if the fingers are not aligned right you are pushing in further and typically harder. Just search bent or broken clutch fingers.

Old stock clutch was very heavy, new clutch, very light.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I just took mine out, Ive been running an RPS sprung single disc with lightened flywheel for about 18k - power levels the same or exceeding yours ... I never had an issue with the set up (thankfully) but it was kindof heavy, which I like ... but there was a good amount of rattle that came with it... Ive been doing a lot of research from HPF bronze and WOTM clutch... although I dont have any miles with any other clutch set-up, just thought id chime in..

·
Registered
368 Posts
I heard good things about the clutchmasters stage 4 unspung with the stock dual mass flywheel. Reid at Sound Performance really recomended it to me. He can probably shed some light on it.

Blaine

·
Time for change
6,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys.

I did move forward with the unsprung 6 puck FX400 from Clutch Masters. I'll let you guys know how it goes if this shop near me can rebuild this tranny that was sold to me as a 'problem free transmission'

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Bent or broken fingers happened on my M3 (these were bent compared to the new clutch) and 300zx TT (these were broken but so was everything else on the car). You have to push the clutch in further to get the same amout of throw out as before, and if the fingers are not aligned right you are pushing in further and typically harder. Just search bent or broken clutch fingers.

Old stock clutch was very heavy, new clutch, very light.
ah ok, never seen that happen to these cars before, i would think bent fingers would cause a lighter pressure anyway, ill have to search it a little more when i have time.

·
Suprasarous Y0!
1,116 Posts
South Bend. For the price and that power level you cant go wrong. Clutch pedal feels damn near stock.

·
Suprasarous Y0!
1,116 Posts
In case you want to check them out... go to http://www.dxdracingclutches.com/

Click Catalog link up top.

Then on the left Click Toyota, then Supra.

Pick from their 585, 660, 750, 775 tq rated clutches. The 750 tq "OFE Series stage 3" at $650 is a good buy considering their stage 4 @ 775 tq is $775.

·
Registered
280 Posts
ah ok, never seen that happen to these cars before, i would think bent fingers would cause a lighter pressure anyway, ill have to search it a little more when i have time.
That would seem logical, but what really happens is that you have to push your foot all the way in to get the clutch to disengage. Initially it is lighter until you push it all the way in and are trying to get them to go in just a little more to get it into gear, this is where it tends to feel heavy, where in reality you are bottoming out. On the M3 there is an issue with the clutch stop and basically you are putting your foot to the floor and it is still not disengaging the clutch.

Maybe it is just me but with the 6-speed I just bought the clutch pedal feels quite heavy. I have not torn the car apart yet, but when I do I expect to find some sort of issue. My money is on worn/bent fingers on the pressure plate but you never know it could be gremlins.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts