Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi!

Tried to break and map my Supra today after going MT5 --> V160!

That did not end with good result...

Anyway, here`s the case....

In all gears and reverse with some RPM we hear this crasy/squeeking sound from the tranny/clutch area... We first tought it was the tranny but after trying another tranny which we KNOW FOR SURE is ok but the same freakin sound appears...

Can the clutch be malfunction? Not balanced or anything? I got a single SPEC clutch rated 800 RWHP + and 800 ftlb... everything was torqued up correctly!

I got the RPS CYN R G flywheel. Everything is brand new from MVP...

We will try another clutch sunday but maybe some of you out there had these problems before?

All inputs are appreciated because im extremely frustrated at the moment...

Fred

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi

Adam at MVP told me I can`t use a RPS flywheel with a SPEC clutch... can anyone chime in on this?

From ADAM:

You cannot use an RPS Flywheel with Spec clutches both are specific to each other

Fred

·
Registered
726 Posts
why would MVP sell you a clutch and a flywheel that you can not use together? I would think someone should have said something when you ordered.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi

Exactly... But is this common? That different brand clutches don`t work with different brand flywheels?

I ordered from Dusty, but I thought he knew I wanted to use the clutch and the flywheel together... Maybe some misunderstanding...

About the sound... it was a scratching/rattle noise...

Fred

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi

It`s a full-faced carbon metallic friction plate!

Fred

·
Custom LED Tail Lights
3,315 Posts
why would MVP sell you a clutch and a flywheel that you can not use together? I would think someone should have said something when you ordered.
Sometimes you have salesman that do not know these tiny things. I bought a clutch through a different company and they sent me a disc that could ONLY be used with that companies lightweight flywheel.

We both learned through trial and error.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi

I do not blame Dusty at all.... Dusty is a hell of a nice guy that`s for sure... everybody can do this... but I need to solve the problem... will try to change the clutch tomorrow and if that doesn`t help we will try to change the flywheel... to see if that solve the problems...

Fred

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi

Every single peice on this install is brand new!!

Fred

·
(overspooled)
2,836 Posts
to be honest, I wouldn't use anything but an OEM flywheel unless the clutch came with or required otherwise...what kind of flywheel do you supposedly need?

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi!

The clutch make no noise at all at low rpm`s not even when I press/depress pedal. Only with some rpm`s the noise appears...

I`m supposed to use the same brand flywheel as my clutch ---> SPEC!

Regards

Fred

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi

One thing that came up....

Do the Center support of the TT driveshaft and the AUTO look the same? I bought a rear AUTO drive shaft from a guy in the US but it looks weird... and it doesn`t fit properly...

I believe the front and the rear shaft should go in a straight line from the tranny to the diff, and not be "bent" at the center support area? I got a N/A -T and bought a TT front and a AUTO rear combo, but the center support do not look like the TT one and I can`t get it all the way up in the tunnel, so It don`t go in a straight line....

Can this be the reason for the noise? Because if I detatch the shaft the noise dissapear but with the shaft it`s there! But the noise is not by the shaft area, it`s around the clutch housing area... just weird..

Fred

·
Registered
559 Posts
with the drive shaft, yes there are 2 diffrent styles, auto and 6 speed. There just shorter and longer depending on the situation. Now if you are using a 6 speed DS with a 6 speed tranny and a auto diff, you are fine. Sounds like what happened to me when i went 6 speed from auto. I installed the DS wrong(i aligned the bolt holes up wrong with the diff) and it vibrated the tranny really bad. Also forgot to put spacers back in under the metal part that bolts to the base of the car so it was unaligned(make sure you have the washers under there to make it all level) After looking and reajusting all was well.

Also most companies make clutchs to use with there products, not with others. I feel its an attempt to make money?:p So get the right part and try that

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi

Well, I did go the MT5 --> V160 route with stock N/A rear end, and then I need to use the TT front/AUTO rear combo, but the AUTO rear part looks different from the TT.. Not only the lenght but also the center support look different... You know the two taps sticking out from the center support where you screw to the chassi... On my AUTO shaft they sticking out on the middle of the bearing not on top as the TT center support... What happens then is that the shaft will be installed with a "bent" since I cant get it further enough up in the tunnel since the attaching point are on the middle of the center support....

I believe you didn`t understand a crap of what I`m trying to explain... From Norway and kin of hard to find the right words for it...

Fred

·
Registered
559 Posts
I understand a crap of what your saying and im telling you i went NA to TT but used a 6 speed rear end

You need to put washers beween the car and the DS to make it level if you cannot then you need to get a 6 speed rear end. I used all 6 speed parts man, i didnt want to chance anything

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi

Yes will go GS400 in the fall but need to stick with my N/A rear before then... see if I can swap the center support on the shaft I got with the TT shaft I got lying around here... Cus the TT rear shaft don`t allign up with the holes...

Fred

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi

Today we tried another clutch and another flywheel and the same nois appear, so then I know for sure it`s not my clutch/flywheel and tranny that is the problem, so it has to be something else....

I beleieve it`s the driveshaft that makes the noise... here`s some pics of the TT/AUTO combo and to be honest I don`t believe the AUTO rear shaft looks like this.... Can anyone chime in on this?

Because this way the combo ain`t a straight line, since it can`t be installed further up in the tunnel.... It is "bent" this way and I believe there is some unbalance going on...

Fred

1 - 20 of 20 Posts