Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guys-

Need your help on this! Here's the deal:

It seems to be "knocking" (not rattling, alot louder and it is consistent with the engine RPMs). This "knocking" noise seems to only be coming when the clutch pedal is NOT pushed in. When I push the pedal back in, it stops knocking. I've only test it at idle as I haven't drove the car. I'm contemplating if it is my flywheel, but I have doubts it. My flywheel was perfectly fine when I took the tranny out and it hasn't been driven on since. When I slowly release the clutch pedal, the "knocking" sound slowly gets louder and louder until the pedal is fully released. Again, the speed of the "knocking" is consistent with the engine RPMs

Things I have ruled out:
-Throwout Bearing (noise only comes when clutch pedal is released and not on ground)
-Pressure Plate or Disc (The only thing abnormal when I took off the pressure plate and disc is that one of the 3 pins on the flywheel that aligns the pressure plate fell out)
-Pressure plate bolts
-Clutch fork is installed properly and not hitting the pressure plate or anything
-Driveshaft bolts are tight
-Crank Pulley is tight
-Syncros (tranny is apart, everything looks 100%)

Possibilities But not Likely:
-Flywheel (flywheel made 0 noise when I took it out BUT if I try moving the flywheel it moves 1-2" without the crank moving)
-Something with the pressure plate or flywheel?

Possible:
-Bearings or retainer of some sort?
-Something internal of the tranny

I'm stumped on this! Any suggestions? Thanks!

·
Registered
272 Posts
My bet would be on the flywheel. The dampner(in the flywheel) starts to break down and they start to get imbalanced causing the engine to in sense run rough causing the trans input shaft to almost jerk back and forth. I hope this makes sense. Good luck.
Eric

·
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have had my thoughts on the flywheel too. It seems very loud for it to be the flywheel though, as it's a pretty loud noise, enough to scare me into pushing the clutch pedal immediately back in and turning off the car. Where would the actual "knocking" noise come from? I can visualize what you are saying, but I just don't understand. The car has seem 0 miles since taking the tranny out and then when I put it back in, it started to make the noise. I have a new flywheel regardless, but I want to make sure it isn't something internal before the tranny goes back together and in the car.

·
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not to my knowledge, it might of seemed louder since the "knocking" is consistent with engine RPMs, so in term the clanking would get faster if I revved it.

M

·
0 Posts
jbsupra95 said:
I have a rps lighweight flywheel so it clanks a little at idle, but then again thats what they do. To decrease the clanking noise increase your idle a little.

Is your flywheel a lightweight? What type of clutch and flywheel do you have?
i have that same loud chatter at idle with the rps lightened flywheel.

·
Exclusive 1000+ Post Club
3,488 Posts
chnco said:
Stock flywheel with RPS Pressure Plate and OEM disc. Never really had any rattling problems with my flywheel
I don't think you would have a loud idle with a stock flywheel. I used to have a lightened flywheel and it was loud as hell at idle; but when I replaced it with a stock flywheel and RPS Stage III pressure plate, no more rattle. Why did you have the tranny out?

Joe

·
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm guessing it could quite possibly be the flywheel since it only "knocks" with the pedal released? But why in the hell is it so loud, could it be anything internal??

·
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I use to have the triple. It's probably 10x louder and a different kind of sound. More of a "clack clack clack" sound than the triple's rattling sound. Still flywheel? Thanks Eric!

J

·
0 Posts
Does it sound like something is striking the inside of the bell housing?

Jim

·
Registered
132 Posts
I guess Ill open this thread back up as I have just started having this same noise but there is one little twist I have an auto. Im not sure how long it has been doing it i just started noticing it when i took my speaker box out of my trunk. It is a loud vibrating clanking sound and it only does it when I put the car in gear and usually when I am just sitting still in drive. I have only noticed it once while the car was moving. Any one know what this could be.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts