Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys quick question. If after I warm the car and when I drive the first 20 secs or so my whole jerks and then it the car runs perfectly afterwards. I have a high mileage v160. Is that normal ? I've heard that the transmission needs to warm up maybe?

·
From the land down under
3,809 Posts
Can you describe what you mean by saying the transmission jerks?

Does it happen as you disengage the clutch?

Does it happen after the clutch is disengaged and youre taking up acceleration?

Is there any mechanical thump/clunk/banging, and if so, when does it make the noise?

Have you had any work done on the car recently? Have you checked for oil leaks from the GB?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I'll try to answer my best. So after I warm the car up and start to drive for after dis engaging the clutch and begin to accelerate the transmission jerks the car like back to forth jerk briefly a few secs and then goes away.
I haven't found any leaks and it doesn't make any noise no bangs or clunks
No work has been recently done to the car.
That being said is this normal until the trans warms up because it does go away after a few secs.
I am also going to change the fluid to royal purple synchro max.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Could this be a fuel or electrical issue? Possibly something electrical like a coil going bad? Just saying, it's possible this has nothing to do with the trans. Maybe the car is lean until it warms up or has a misfire from a bad coil or spark plug.

Al

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm that's interesting. I'll be taking the car in to get looked at and bring that up. Thanks AL I didn't think of that

·
Super Moderator
10,283 Posts
Do you have aftermarket cams?

Ken.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just the stock cams. I'm thinking it's a fuel or electrical issue. Like AL pointed out since if it was the trans it won't be for a few secs. I'll be bringing the car in soon to be diagnosed

·
From the land down under
3,809 Posts
Yes, definitely check ignition components, coils stems for cracks, coil wiring connections for brittleness, spark plug condition etc and if nothing shows up, perhaps test your crank and cam angle sensors as they can go bad too.

If nothing shows up with the above, then it may be worth popping the cover off the ECU to look for bad caps, although normally those symptoms get worse at it warms up, not the other way around.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Ree. Those are really good points to check. It's really awesome that after 25 years everyone is still really helpful on our forum

·
From the land down under
3,809 Posts
Well, the few of us that are left here certainly try to keep the place alive, even if the new owners don't seem to understand, or care that it takes a community for a forum to prosper.

GL with your trouble shooting, be sure to pop back in to update us on what the problem ends up being :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So it ended up being the spark plugs. We replaced them and the car is running better. They did say the car is running too rich and probably needs a retune and caused the plugs to go bad.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts