Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

My highly anticipated (by me!) auto to 6 speed swap was completed earlier last week. A friend did the work for me, who has done numerous trans and engine swaps, as well as building wiring harnesses. I have no question the work was done less than meticulously.

Late last year, I picked up a complete 6 speed swap from another SF member. This swap was purchased by that member, from another member. That original owner had the V161 rebuilt by Jacks in November 2014. I have the receipt. That person never completed the swap on their car, rather sold it to the 2nd forum member. He completed collection of the swap parts, but again, never installed. He sold his auto car. I bought the swap, never been installed.

This swap was done right. New parts (pedals and misc. hardware, console, tunnel etc.) from Toyota. Driveshaft, differential, axles and ECU are used. The rest is new. The car has a Southbend Stage 3 Daily with Luk DMF. I'm using new Toyota trans fluid.

So, my first drive in the car Thursday - I'm a bit surprised. It has an audible grumble at idle, in neutral. This goes away with the clutch pressed in. I'm fine with this. Seems most have this.

The 2nd sound - a "clunk" when shifting occasionally. This seems to happen more when the car is driven easy. Again, I'm fairly okay with this. Seems common.

The 3rd sound, I can only describe as a metallic "clank, clank clank". This happens during every shift, when I lift off the throttle/deceleration and when in low gears/reverse and I press and release the clutch. This sound I'm NOT okay with.

I have a couple videos of the car now. I'm looking for some help and input. I really hope I don't have to send this back to Jacks, for another costly rebuild of some kind.

In reverse, engaging/disengaging the clutch. Most noticeable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WC5h0-Iqbf4

Lifting off the throttle in 4th:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1s1PE0PPXo

Under the car, reverse. Same as 1st video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=046n7CvnAvo

Thoughts? The person that did the swap feels there was never fluid in the trans, so I highly suspect it is a rebuilt transmission.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I just wanted to chime in, I did a quick search and not claiming this is the issue but give this a good read.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?311971-V161-gearbox-problem

I'm not so sure they are the same noises caused by the same thing but in his case it was the Flywheel and a pressure plate issue. I hope you get this sorted out, do not hesitate to send this audio to "Jacks Transmission" they are stand up people.

Here is another video that might help, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOj4sNp2zAM "Read the comments below"

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the ideas. The video from the MKIV forum doesn't sound quite like mine. Mine is only when the throttle is lifted, or the clutch pedal pressed. It doesn't happen when driving (it actually drives fine). The "clank" sound usually comes in 3. It sounds as if something metallic has been dropped, and bouncing.

I have seen Jason's video on Youtube actually, and the comments. I was hoping it was driveshaft backlash, but it seems to not have any slop in it. Under the car, it seems to be closer to the tailstock, not driveshaft.

I've been talking to Jacks, and have sent links to the videos I posted here. Technically, I can't prove the box has never been installed, and it's almost 3 years since the rebuild. If it is a problem with the trans, I hope they'll work with me to get it fixed somehow, without costing an arm and leg since I've already purchased the entire swap, and thinking I was getting a nicely refreshed transmission.

When Jacks chimes in, if they don't feel it's a transmission problem (under the car it does sound like it's from the trans), I'll likely try it on a hoist without the driveshaft on it.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
That clunk when you let off throttle doesn't sound normal. I would check driveshaft first tho

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That clunk when you let off throttle doesn't sound normal. I would check driveshaft first tho
I have checked for play in the driveshaft and it seems fine. It really sounds like it's in the rear of the transmission.

I think the transmission will be coming out of the car this weekend and going back to Jacks. I'll see if the sound is any different without the driveshaft.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
An update on this:

I purchased a new v160, and have it in the car now (about a month ago now). The same sound is present. So, I guess I can safely assume it isn't a transmission problem.

Thoughts?

·
Smith & Wesson Member
569 Posts
I would try using another driveshaft, to rule it out.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would try using another driveshaft, to rule it out.
I think that's probably my most likely next step, but might not be until the spring when the car comes out from storage. Thanks.

I did find a thread on one of the Aussie forums where it seems a few have the same sound and say it's been quite normal for them, for a long time.

·
Smith & Wesson Member
569 Posts
Probably the clutch. I just installed a OS Giken RC3 and I get a similar sound when I left off the gas
I have my RC3, installed for seven years. I don't have any similar sounds.

Several local cars with OS Giken installed, no strange sounds.

Post up a video.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just went back and watched the video and My car does not make that noise...sorry I was wrong.

Sounds like a driveshaft
Thanks. I'm hoping so. It's frustrating since I first bought a rebuilt transmission and then a new one, thinking it was the problem. Clearly it isn't.

In doubt I get to replacing the driveshaft this year. It'll be on my list for the spring.

Until then, somebody buy the rebuilt v161!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I hate to revive this thread, but I am having the same sound. I have a 1993 JDM v160. I recently replaced my shifter seal as it was leaking and installed a TRD mount at the same time. I Followed a how-to and went smoothly until I drove the car and this sound started. I am wondering if you ever figured it out before i start a new thread with a video as well. The only thing I removed was the driveshaft so it has to be something with that. I marked the drive shaft and it has been installed the same way it came out. I made sure I put the spacers above the carrier bearing. I know this sound can be fixed because it wasn't making this sound before.

Edit: Does anyone know the size of the center locking nut on the front piece of the drive shaft?

·
Registered
253 Posts
maybe check the backlash on the diff? when my tacoma's was out of spec there was enough play to cause a clunking on decel when in gear (5 speed manual)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I hate to revive this thread, but I am having the same sound. I have a 1993 JDM v160. I recently replaced my shifter seal as it was leaking and installed a TRD mount at the same time. I Followed a how-to and went smoothly until I drove the car and this sound started. I am wondering if you ever figured it out before i start a new thread with a video as well. The only thing I removed was the driveshaft so it has to be something with that. I marked the drive shaft and it has been installed the same way it came out. I made sure I put the spacers above the carrier bearing. I know this sound can be fixed because it wasn't making this sound before.

Edit: Does anyone know the size of the center locking nut on the front piece of the drive shaft?
I didn't get this figured out unfortunately. I have a new v160 in the car now and it sounds the same. I suspect it's something in the driveshaft. The car isn't driven often, and haven't looked in to it this summer yet.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I didn't get this figured out unfortunately. I have a new v160 in the car now and it sounds the same. I suspect it's something in the driveshaft. The car isn't driven often, and haven't looked in to it this summer yet.
Is there any chance you are runnin a TRD trans mount? I read another thread and that seems to be a commonality with the sound. I’m going to remove mine today and go back to stock and report back with the findings

1 - 20 of 33 Posts