Supra Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
I got this video with the TRD mount in.
.. A camera wouldn't even be able to pick up the sound with the stock mount in as it's not nearly loud enough. Its usually only noticeable now when reversing out of the garage when the car is still cold and I only notice it now because I am listening for it.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I got this video with the TRD mount in.
.. A camera wouldn't even be able to pick up the sound with the stock mount in as it's not nearly loud enough. Its usually only noticeable now when reversing out of the garage when the car is still cold and I only notice it now because I am listening for it.
AHHHHHH!!!!! Thank you!!!

That's definitely the same sound I get. It's absolutely worst when reversing in to the garage. I'll have to swap my TRD mount out too and see what's more worthwhile. The rigidity of the TRD mount, or the (lack of) sound from the OEM.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Have you inspected the center support bearing assembly ?
The bolts ?
Something is vibrating and touching/rubbing
It’s causing a possible frequency that jolts another components around the driveshaft
Could be as simple as the up and done clearance of the shifter linkage hitting the tunnel ?
Just an idea

·
Registered
37 Posts
I didn't get this figured out unfortunately. I have a new v160 in the car now and it sounds the same. I suspect it's something in the driveshaft. The car isn't driven often, and haven't looked in to it this summer yet.
A few summers have passed.....did you manage to get to the bottom of this, sir?

·
Registered
37 Posts
True, it's more quiet with the oem mount, but the issue is still there though isn't it....hmmm.....for me, it's literally when on and off the throttle. Due to road noise, it's harder to hear in the higher gears, but it seems to be consistent with each of them. I'm going to jack the rear end up and go under the car with somebody blipping the throttle while I listen out for where the sound is coming from. I'll report back soon.

·
Registered
96 Posts
IMO if the sounds aren't getting worse, the trans is going in/out of gear smoothly, engaging correctly, there aren't any weird vibrations, and nothing was loose during a bolt check I wouldn't be concerned. Especially if you've contacted Jack's and they aren't concerned.

I've been in several MKIVs with TRD trans mounts + solid/TRD motor mounts + solid/poly diff mounts + multi-plate clutches + aftermarket diffs. To varying degrees they all make peculiar noises on decel & clutch engage/disengage, including mine.

I think in most cases the culprit is the combination of stiffer clutch materials and mounts exposing any slack within the drivetrain & causing weird harmonics.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Clutch pilot bushing !!!
I've not owned cars before (or at least I don't think I have) where they've had a clutch pilot bushing. Where does it go? I'm thinking I should order one and fit it on a sunny day. A hell of a pain in the ass though to drop the transmission not to even replace a clutch though :eek:

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I've not owned cars before (or at least I don't think I have) where they've had a clutch pilot bushing. Where does it go? I'm thinking I should order one and fit it on a sunny day. A hell of a pain in the ass though to drop the transmission not to even replace a clutch though :eek:
Almost all Manual transmissions have a Pilot bearing or bushing of some sort, it sits inside of the center bore of the flywheel and crank boss , it centers the trans input shaft with the flywheel. when these bearings or bushings get stuck or have bad bearing wheels (pressed within the bearing) , it will have a noise.

·
Registered
37 Posts
This is news to me...and there was me thinking I knew about engines. Thanks man, I'll order one for the Supra so that it's on hand for that one sunny day in the summer when I'm feeling brave.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
This is news to me...and there was me thinking I knew about engines. Thanks man, I'll order one for the Supra so that it's on hand for that one sunny day in the summer when I'm feeling brave.
so the way to pull these bushings/bearing out, since there is no tool that can pull it out , its a tight fit, so..
what you can try is spray some WD40 or something like it, wait for a few minutes , try to see and feel if its loose, if it is then pull it gently with a curved pick, if it wont work, get some clay or sandwich brad , the soft part, make a ball out of it, stick and push it in the center as much as dough you can, then get a round piece of wood or the handle of a screw driver, or a socket and gently tap the dough, what ur doing it, is packing the dough as much as you can, ad more dough if needed, it will start pushing from the back out, since its got nowhere to go, keep doing it, and it will for sure come out, when ur installing the new bearing , first feel the inside of the crank boss with your finger, if its corroded or has bumps , or not smooth, use a 1000 grit sand paper and smooth our the areas, then apply a little gel, or engine oil, a very thin layer, this is only for the bearing to go in and sit flush, don't hammer it in at all ! try to use you fingers to push it in evenly and maybe a rubber mallet . let me know !

21 - 33 of 33 Posts