Supra Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
recent went to single conversion/stock MAF, everything worked fine except I noticed a vacuum leak at the carbon canister on the passenger firewall. there are 3 lines on the canister, the 2 thick hoses I'm assuming are for fuel vapor and the 1 more regular hose for vacuum.
when I put my ear near the nipple on the canister that takes in the vacuum I can hear the air leaking badly and vacuum reads about 10-12" Hg and the car has a shaky idle. so next I disconnected the vacuum hose from the canister and plugged it with a bolt and idle went up to the normal 17" Hg and idle smoothed out back to stock. so obviously the leak has to be somewhere within/on the canister.

could I simply remove the whole canister, loop the fuel vapor lines and plug that vacuum line? will this affect anything major? thanks for any suggestions

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
There is the legallity of what you are proposing to do and the technical side to consider. Whatever you do is your own business as long as you understand you are doing no good for the environment if you disconnect the canister. Now, if you eliminate this device you then need to relieve tank vapor somewhere. If you dump this into the charge air tract you are doing so uncontrolled, right? I would suggest leaving the canister alone and replacing the hose and clamp. I doubt the canister is bad unless you checked it by itself for leakage.

·
In The Sonoran Desert
481 Posts
I do not think the environment is of prime concern to him esp since he just went "single conversion" Wanna wager as to what isn't on the exhaust system?

·
Banned
397 Posts
I removed my charcoal canister as part of my single upgrade. I followed the directions on MKIV.com and I haven't had any problems. I also don't have the "fuel" smell, except when actually doing the job ;-)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts