Supra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
Now the pic just worked for me but I'm not sure what that is without looking it up. I'll look if I can find it. What angle is that shot taken from? Is it from underneath or on top? I think I have those caped off.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
charleshmlee said:
That is a vaccum bypass because you have a boost controller in your Supra.
Charles.
There is no boost controller in the supra, just a turbo timer. It looks like its been there a long time too. The angle of the picture is from the passenger side looking into engine bay. Right on top. Ive never seen where a boost controller was ever used on the car but i guess it is possible. What should i do with it now since i dont have one? Has this damaged anything?
Thanks

·
1400rwhp/8 Sec Club
2,831 Posts
I dont know why that would be done like that... if you want to "pull the hoses", that isnt the way you do it on a TT supra (to run as much boost as possible)... I would just connect it back the way it is supposed to be. The left vacumn to the left nipple and the right to the right... ect.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SteelCitySupra said:
I dont know why that would be done like that... if you want to "pull the hoses", that isnt the way you do it on a TT supra (to run as much boost as possible)... I would just connect it back the way it is supposed to be. The left vacumn to the left nipple and the right to the right... ect.
Ok i did that! thanks for looking. Also, did you notice the oil all around that thing and dripping on the turbo sheild? That cant be good coming from the rear turbo blower side!

·
Stock Twins King
4,566 Posts
Basically, this person has de-activated the "pre-spooling" of the #2 turbo. Some people call this the "HPF" mod. By doing this, it allows for NO prespool for #2. It also gives you High boost on the #1 instead of the normal 10psi. This is a "known" cause for shortening the life of the #2 turbo. I would suggest plugging the 2 vac lines back into the VSV. HArd to say what all the oil is about. Could be spillage or lack of keeping things clean.

·
Alpine Hardtopper
1,096 Posts
I have to agree with Stu here. My supra came like this. I drove it 1200 miles home, and 100 miles later the #2 turbo shaft broke on me. Just prior to me buying the car the turbos on the car had just been replaced with 40,000 mile units because the previous #2 turbo had failed.

I always like to keep the engine bay as clean as possible. It make it *so* much easier to spot problems like oil leaks or anything.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just noticed something else. The same thing was done on the front turbo as well. I never noticed it before but i just replaced the timing and had everything off the car and then i saw the exact same thing on the front. Why would they do both that way? The car drives good and then has a alot of boost topend. With the rear turbo back the way it should be its definatley more smooth of a transition and you dont feel as much top end on it now. Should i fix the front back to the way it should be?

·
Stock Twins King
4,566 Posts
kilobit said:
I just noticed something else. The same thing was done on the front turbo as well. I never noticed it before but i just replaced the timing and had everything off the car and then i saw the exact same thing on the front. Why would they do both that way? The car drives good and then has a alot of boost topend. With the rear turbo back the way it should be its definatley more smooth of a transition and you dont feel as much top end on it now. Should i fix the front back to the way it should be?
Take a picture as well for this. Not sure if your talking about the wastegate or the
EGCV VSV.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts