Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Alpha for president
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my car is a 95...and it's in pretty good shape but not perfect...Bunch of rock chips in the front bumper and hood, and a dent or 2 in the rear (not very big)...my question is, if i were to get the car repainted and the dents fixed, from it's stock paint from the factory will the value go down???or would it not really matter seeing the car would look a ton better repainted and the dents and that stuff all fixed?? I would think that it wouldn't matter seeing the car is going to look better...

· Eye Kandy For Enthusiasts
1,469 Posts
runs11's said:
Well my car is a 95...and it's in pretty good shape but not perfect...Bunch of rock chips in the front bumper and hood, and a dent or 2 in the rear (not very big)...my question is, if i were to get the car repainted and the dents fixed, from it's stock paint from the factory will the value go down???or would it not really matter seeing the car would look a ton better repainted and the dents and that stuff all fixed?? I would think that it wouldn't matter seeing the car is going to look better...

the only time i think the value would go down is if you paint the car that was origionally a rare color. Like there were only 2 alpine silver hardtop supras made in 95, depending on what it is, it might make a difference.

My car was origionally a black car and had it painted a custom HOK color.

· LexusTico
3,604 Posts
^^you're forgetting the other scenario.. if you paint your car and do a shitty job at it (don't pull mouldings, have spider cracking, orange peel, etc) the value will drop as well.

Do it right or don't do it at all.

· Alpha for president
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nothing special....Red

· Alpha for president
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SupraTico said:
^^you're forgetting the other scenario.. if you paint your car and do a shitty job at it (don't pull mouldings, have spider cracking, orange peel, etc) the value will drop as well.

Do it right or don't do it at all.

it will be done right....no chop shops for me.....

· Never narc'd on nobody
8,335 Posts
Sounds like you plan on sticking with the OEM colour so that makes it a little easier to answer.

It still depends how you do it tho. Document it well and pay for some high quality bodywork and you should be fine. Slap some cheeseball respray on it with overspray everywhere and colours that don't match up and anyone that knows their stuff will pick it apart.

Colour changes are even easier to screw up.

· HKS Twins
525 Posts
Refinishing a car will only drop value under few circumstances..

A few would be if you changed color on a rare color such as rsp or quick silver. When i look at the car as see the chasis code was rsp and the car is red its a big turn off.
If the cars paint job was done properly and if it meet and or exceeds OEM specification. If you add a ugly body kit that is either tacky or outdated.

Now if the car was redone with high expectaions in mind the overall value of your car will increase. I just spent about 1k in replacing all my mouldings on my car. Why do it? Well overall appreance of new moulding is second to none, its the fine finish as such that raises eye brows when buyer or spectator admires your car. From the sounds of things you just want to have your car refinished or touched up alittle, I dont see a problem with this however, dont be cheap and find a reputable Body shop that will meet supra standards! If the car is done right, you cant go wrong.

· Registered
1,755 Posts
Refinishing does not detract from the "value". Unless Billy-bob does the work you are adding value if you should decide to sell. It's not a difficult concept- you will get less money for your car, if you sell today, with rock chips, thin paint, etc. than if there where no visable defects in the first place.

· Alpha for president
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
stock red ....and no body kits....not my cup of tea although some look good....

· Alpha for president
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
MtFujiSupra said:
Refinishing does not detract from the "value". Unless Billy-bob does the work you are adding value if you should decide to sell. It's not a difficult concept- you will get less money for your car, if you sell today, with rock chips, thin paint, etc. than if there where no visable defects in the first place.

thats what i figured....just thought i would ask

· Never narc'd on nobody
8,335 Posts
MtFujiSupra said:
The problem is that many "good" bodyshops do crappy work all the time. Many buyers (myself included) would rather buy a car with imperfect OEM paint, as opposed to one with mediocre body/paintwork (the most common kind) and not knowing what it's hiding. A high quality job will nulify this.....just make sure that's what you're getting.

· Alpha for president
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Northof49 said:
The problem is that many "good" bodyshops do crappy work all the time. Many buyers (myself included) would rather buy a car with imperfect OEM paint, as opposed to one with mediocre body/paintwork (the most common kind) and not knowing what it's hiding. A high quality job will nulify this.....just make sure that's what you're getting.

I work at a towing and body shop....and what you say is 100% right....i'm not really in the market for paint yet but I was just looking over the car the other day and this is what came to mind....

· Banned
666 Posts
As long as it's done right and the general quality is high, the resale value should go up, or at the minimum it should not lose value. An example of a car that would lose value if repainted would be a 30k mint condition all-stock supra. If that is your goal, then I would not repaint. But if this is a car you actually got some use out of and enjoy, then repainting will be necessary as paint wears out and gets damaged no matter what you do.

My advice for going to a good body/paint shop would be to find one that your friends or people you know have gone to before, both recently and in the past. Remember a good paint job lasts more than 6 months and should only peel/spot under the harshest of conditions. Make sure there are no issues. Most of the work in a good paint job involves very little skill and a lot of repetitive manual labor. This is where they tend to skimp on to maximize the efficiency of their jobs.

· GO 'Cats!
1,103 Posts
Larryc said:
don't forget that there are 2 red colours with the same code 2L3...or 3L2...
Same color, different code? or different colors? I beleive a well done job will improve the resale of most cars, Supras included. A decent to good shop can probably do a better than oem job.

· Registered
2,684 Posts
I wouldn't buy one with re-paint. Only as a last option. It raises questions.

You never know why it was repainted, if it was wrecked, mis-treated, etc...

Also, I have yet to see an aftermarket paint job done as well as the original.

some buyers wouldn't mind, but some do, so best case is it would be a little harder to sell.

· Old School
4,436 Posts
Larryc said:
don't forget that there are 2 red colours with the same code 2L3...or 3L2...
Where does this come from? The RR cars I've seen don't appear different shades other than normal fading due to sun/time/neglect.

Why on earth would Toyota produce two different reds that share the same color code?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.