Supra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 87T has been sitting in my garage for a little over a year because I didnt have the money to fix it to get it passed the safety inspection for Maryland. Now that I am going to be going to grad school, I am having to sell it and buy something that will hopefully require less money. I have someone interested in buying it, but really have no idea how much I sould ask for it. Here is a list of goods/bads on the car:

1987 Turbo -- 115k, 60k on new motor

Good:
- HKS Sport Exhaust
- Random Tech Cat
- AMS Downpipe
- HKS Intake
- HKS BOV
- Manual Boost Controller
- Tires with ~5k driven on them
- 92 mk3 wheels
- The motor had no noticible issues when it was last run.

Bad:
- Car has been sitting for a year
- Dealership said it would take about 3.5k to get past safety inspection -- some of it seems questionable -- replace entire rear suspension, which I never noticed any problems with, washer pump, windshield (no cracks), etc.
- Has been in an accident where I spun out and jumped a curb on ice. Cost 5k to get it all fixed at the dealership in 2001 (including rear suspension, which is why I question the need for a new one). There are a couple of rust spots where the shock towers hit the metal and popped the paint off.
- Radiator has cracked, but been fixed using fiberglass and hasnt cracked since.
- Car runs hot on very hot days (90+) and A/C cuts out b/c of it.
- Interior has normal wear for a 20 year old car.

I would appreciate honest opinions on this. KBB says that a vehicle in poor condition should get about 1500. Does this seem like a reasonable price for my car?

Thank in advance for any ideas.

·
Banned, jk lol
3,866 Posts
Hmm, the fact that it was wrecked isn't good. Also, you need to guarantee it starts to get people interested. Never listen to KBB when it comes to value also, they never add the "rare/collectible/unusual" factor.

-Matt

·
Supra hail dent king :(
1,155 Posts
Do you have any pictures of it? that would help as well. but by the soudns of it i would say 3k+ for sure. (until i see pictures of everything)

·
SUPRAF0RUMS TROLL
1,610 Posts
you have a bad fan clutch btw... ummmm... i would say 2500 after reading your post... 3500 if i didnt read that you have been in a crash ... peace

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will try to get some pics in a little while, but I dont know how good they will be...my garage is pretty tight. Thanks for the quick feedback!

·
Sir Digby Chicken Ceasar
519 Posts
I'll give you two dollars for it. LMK

·
Registered
789 Posts
www.nada.com gives you the low/avg./high resale value and any car however i have not found any site to accurately judge the cost of any mk3 i ever looked at buying. They all lowball the value for some reason but from what you said with the accident $2.5k-$3k. That is providing it will start mind you. good luck with the sale

·
JZA70 448 rwhp everyday
2,994 Posts
depends on the year and how good it "looks" a car that looks like shit and has body lines on panels that dont matchup will never sell. Id pay $1000 for that car, but im cheap.

~scott

·
239RWHP @ 9PSI
1,882 Posts
buy that hks bov off you... haha

anyways show some pictures!

·
1.5JZ Turbo Supra
3,378 Posts
i paid 1500 for my 89 T with a salvage title. =/ So 1500 wouldn't be too bad.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hasnt been washed in a while, but I just rinsed it off for the pictures, so that is why the paint might look a little wierd. Oh, and the car only has 115k on it, not 119k.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I installed a new battery today, topped off some fluids and it started up immediately, idled at about 900rpm, and produced no strange smoke or smells. If it wasnt my car, I probably wouldnt have known that it had been sitting for a year between cranks. I havent been able to drive it b/c it has no tags, but from idling and some gentle revving to 3000rpm, it sounded good.

That being said, can those of you that wanted to know if it ran give an estimate now?

Thanks

·
what would jesus drift?
987 Posts
how much you pay for it, and how much do you think it's worth?

take it for a drive, does it run smoothly through each gear?

·
It's only the beginning..
690 Posts
Give that car a hardcore cleaning and ditch that LIP! ewwe! Wash the car, Claybar the car, then wax the car, oh yeah and did I mention, DITCH THAT LIP!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts