Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys got a problem im tryin to get ahold of the sst-valve adjustment tool for my car but otc tools dont have the part number that i gave them which is what is in the manual. do you think the mkiv valve tool wiill work for the mkiii also?parts number are almost exactly identical except for one..
09248-55010 mkiii
09248-55040 mkiv

but its also pricey 110 dollars....
i need this tool cuz when i did the valve adjustment i think i messed up on to pistons and now two pistons got low compression...

help me out guys...i want my car back its been down for a yr..

S

·
0 Posts
I don't have an answer to your question, but last time I adjusted my valves, I just borrowed the tool from my local Toyota dealer.

Maybe you can try that?

R

·
0 Posts
I've been told you can take the shims off with a couple of screwdrivers.
But I also want some of those Toyota tools.

·
***ified?
1,087 Posts
I would recommend just measuring all of the shims with the camshaft in, recording the measurement, and then removing the camshafts and replacing the shims as necessary. Its really not that much more time consuming.

N

·
0 Posts
Snap-On part #YA8825 is what Toyota tells you to buy these days if you want the SST.. I have no idea if it's much more difficult to remove the cams though. I'm going to have to do a valve job myself soon, and havn't decided if i'm going to go with the SST or take the cams off. The part from Snap-On is $35.

·
Impeller Head
2,832 Posts
p5150 said:
I would recommend just measuring all of the shims with the camshaft in, recording the measurement, and then removing the camshafts and replacing the shims as necessary. Its really not that much more time consuming.
I agree. No special tools, besides the micrometer ;) move the shims around to get the clearances right and until you end up with the least number of shims needed. good luck!!

·
Mk3-Mk45-Passport-Eagle
570 Posts
i went throw this sh*t my self....for no compressoin it could be just the valves need to be adj which you could just reshim them or rings.....do a leak down test.....the first thing i would do is take the valve covers off and get a feeler gauge from parts store its like $4 bucks....and check the clearance make sure the cam shaft thing is pointing up.....the clearance should be .008-.009.....for you not having compressoin it could be the vavles are wide open....good luck man its a bitch believe me....i still have 90psi on my 1st cyl but the car runs strong and perfect makes no sense???

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I'll have to take a picture of the tool I have, as I have never seen another. I got it from an old school machinist who used to build Yamaha bike engines. It just slips under the cam lobe, pushes down the bucket, and lets you grab the shim out - it is awesome.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts