Supra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all! help a newb out again please, i'm changing my valve cover gasket this monday, want to make sure if i need to worry about anything, is the torque wrench required? how much torque if so? and reason i'm changing is because i was about to do the spark plugs/wires but there was oil ALL over my plugs! also is there any advice on installing wires/plugs? thanks in advance

·
Registered
894 Posts
sorry bout your gaskets bro... ima be doing the same thing maybe monday also... but just keep all your parts in a place where you can remember they go... GL.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm doing mine next week. Are you use using the factory screws or switching to allen bolts?

·
(◕_◕)
3,756 Posts
Go to Home Depot/Lowe's/Hardware Store and get some Hex Head bolts. The Allen head bolts suck.

·
NO SOUP 4 U
1,683 Posts
One thing Ive found out when torquing those grommets down. I have a inch pound torque wrench. 2 Years ago when i was tightening mine down I watched as it took them up up to their spec of 22 in lbs. I was holding the wrench at the same torque as i looked at something else. Then it caught my eye. The torque was backing down. I tightened back up and angain watched as the torque backed off. So i decided to look a little closer. What was happening was the grommet was twisting as the torque was applied. So just keep that in mind when tightening them. Go back and check them several times before you put the crossover on.

One other thing that i found that helps....
When install the valve cover gasket i put a thin layer of (black) silcone on the gasket. Also small extra amount at the corners of the #1 bearing caps. With the Stainless allen bolts i use, I do not use any grommets anymore. I get a good torque on the valve covers now. Bolt do stay tight. If by chance the bolts do back out the silicone still holds the seal. So, you wont have to worry about oil seeping out. Ive already removed the valve covers once to check the valves. Valve covers were holding good with the silicone. I removed all bolts. Had to give it a whack with the palm of my hand to break it free.
If you end up removing them at a later date silicone cleans off pretty easy with a finger nail off of the head. As for the gaskets... rub them clean with a cloth. Seal em again and reinstall.

·
THE LAST NA
1,326 Posts

Follow these steps to avoid getting dirt internally exposed while cleaning

remove wires, but do not remove plugs
take off the #3 cylinder head cover pictured above
clean middle galley with oils rags
change valve gaskets
re install valve covers
lastly, remove spark plugs,
clean or replace wires/plugs
reinstall wires

to take of #3 cylinder cover, (the bolts you remove are a very very large hex, i was luky to have a bolt and two nuts which i made a homemade hex;

·
Registered
234 Posts
I wanna say those bolts are 3/8ths.. I just used a bolt and vise grips to get mine off.

And I wish you would have said that about a month ago. Now I'm going to have to take my crossover pipe off. for a 3rd time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts