Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm driving around town and I notice I got a little bit of smoke coming out from under the hood. I pull off and pop the hood and notice there is enough oil leaking from my valve cover that its dripping onto the exhaust manifold and burning. When I had this problem on another car, all I needed to do is replace the Valve Cover Gasket. When I searched, I read that in this car that gasket doesnt serve much purpose, and some people remove it. If thats the case, what can I do to get rid of the leak? Or at least slow it down a bit, most people seem to have a small amount of oil leaking.

Also, when I replaced my spark plugs/wires this last week, I noticed all the boots had oil on them, especially the #6 one. Anyway, back to the question, what should i do to get rid of this oil leaking problem?

·
Big HP = Big Downtime
2,995 Posts
Get a new set of valve cover seals. The one you are refering to thats not needed is the center gasket between the 2 valve covers. It can be removed but you have to put the allen key bolts back and torque them down. The valve cover seals are also the reason you have oil in the spark plug valley

·
stop pulling me over pigs
1,259 Posts
Best maintenance thing I've ever done on mine, I had the same exact problem - no more losing a quart of oil every 1000 miles now :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Should i just pick that set up from the dealership? You happen to know how much they might run?

·
Big HP = Big Downtime
2,995 Posts
yeah go to toyota. When you get the seals get the rubber grommets aswell. Theres one for each screw.

total for mine I think was $35-$40cdn but i can't remember exactly.

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
Buy from champion... it will be WAY cheaper.

·
Banned
3,588 Posts
best thing i did when i had my 7m, take those allen screws to homedepot and find the right size in hex bolts, works soo much better, i had to use longer ones and use a cutter wheel to trim them to size tho :p

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anybody have the part number for the Valve Cover Seals? If I order them from champion it wants me to put in a part number that I dont know.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts