Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
DONT HASSLE THE HOFF
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the *search* button isn't working :( I'll ask here. Is the valve cover gasket on this car reusable or should I just go ahead and buy a new one?

·
BPU is so 1997
5,349 Posts
V10EATR re-used his old one and has no leaks.

When I worked at Honda it was always reccomended to use a new one everytime you take the valve cover off.

I have a new pair for when I pull mine off next week to polish the covers.

·
DONT HASSLE THE HOFF
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool, thanks bro. I guess I'll just get new ones for peace of mind.

I'm pulling it off to be polished aswell, I shoulda had it done when I had everything else polished during the rebuild but I didn't even think about it at the time.... Hopefully it will be a painless process :)

Thanks for the reply!

·
Supra Addict Since 1984
362 Posts
Quick suggestion; when you place your order for the two gaskets ($11 each) you should also buy a new set of valve cover grommets. I think there are 16 total. They are rounded metal washers with rubbers seals molded in. You'll find the rubber to be brittle when you pull the screws out. Some of the grommets will stick to the valve cover, others will just come apart. You'll be happy you had new ones on hand for the re-install.

Also, you may want to buy the two S-shaped crankcase ventilation hoses while you're at it. If you've never replaced them, they are also lkely to be hard and will crack when you remove them to replace your plugs. You probably knew this already, but just in case...

John
www.utahracing.com/supras/john.html

·
DONT HASSLE THE HOFF
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RSP TRD Single-T said:
Quick suggestion; when you place your order for the two gaskets ($11 each) you should also buy a new set of valve cover grommets. I think there are 16 total. They are rounded metal washers with rubbers seals molded in. You'll find the rubber to be brittle when you pull the screws out. Some of the grommets will stick to the valve cover, others will just come apart. You'll be happy you had new ones on hand for the re-install.

Also, you may want to buy the two S-shaped crankcase ventilation hoses while you're at it. If you've never replaced them, they are also lkely to be hard and will crack when you remove them to replace your plugs. You probably knew this already, but just in case...

John
www.utahracing.com/supras/john.html
Great! Thanks for the info John, I'll be sure to pick the grommets up as well.

I just recently changed the 2 crankcase hoses when I put a new PCV valve and catch can on. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Thanks-

1 - 5 of 5 Posts