Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I searched around for a bit reading some posts related to this, but found none that really covered it.
I have recently aquired an NA MKIV, I checked her over well, and the engine was clean. I've had her since Nov. and ALL of my friends have finally gotten their test rides in it. I don't drive all that hard in it, I like to be seen where ever I go :D
but anyway, I've had her up to about 6500 rpm a hlaf a dozen time, never a redline. in the last month or so I've devolped a leak at the rear passenger side of the engine. not really completely sure where it's coming from. the valve cover seal in that area is a bit damp looking, and there is a wet run mark down the side of the engine right near the bellhousing, but still on the engine. I have no real manual for it, but am wondering if anyone has any tips for checking it out? or for fixing it on a VERY short budget.

thanks
Nakor

·
Registered
696 Posts
First thing I'd do is to double check and make sure that it is in fact the valve cover gaskets. There's a good chance it is but I'd start by wiping off the oil and watching where it reappears. You might have to drive it a little and work the oil into the camshaft area so that the leaks reappear.

With a faulty seal, you should see oil leaking out from the covers. It could be one small area or multiple areas..it just depends on how bad of a condition the seals are in. The inner gaskets can crack too..this can get real messy since it will leave your spark plugs sitting in pools of oil. Be sure to have a good supply of shop towels around. :(
You probably won't notice the latter until you've taken the whole air intake assembly off. But new gaskets are cheap and so are spark plugs.

The parts cost under $25 for all the gaskets. The labor isn't hard, but it will take a little while because you'll have to take everything off that's sitting on top of the valve covers. You might as well put some fresh spark plugs in there too since you're in there.

You should look up the torque specs for the covers (sorry my manuals are with me). You can probably get away with guesstimating if you're very carefull, but I don't recommend that. Just keep in mind they are aluminum and can bend or crack. If you're going to work on the car, I really suggest shelling out the money for the manuals. There's plenty of little details like this the books have that you can find, or will have a difficult time finding on the web.

Here's a diagram of the covers.
http://www.mkiv.com/specifications/ncf/ncf93/ncf034.jpg

hopefully that helped answer your question. :)

·
NA-T member
455 Posts
First off deffidently get the Toyota manuals, if your going to work on your car. Everything said above is right.
If your going to change the gasket you might as well change your plugs and wires. NGK is good brand for plugs.

When you are working with any screws that are attached to the head, make sure that it is ice cold, not even warm. Alumunium is a very maluble (sp*) material and you can easly strip the threads right out of the head!!!

Just take pics of your work so someone else who doesnt know can follow what you have done.

Have fun!:D

·
NA-T Member
492 Posts
If you feel like making a trip to ohio, I'll do it for some Wendy's if you're not mechanically inclined to do so yourself.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, for all the help, I've always been nervous about taking apart all that wonderful STUFF that goes across the top of the engine in the MKIIIs and MKIVs. I'll do a little more checking to make sure where it is coming from, I just need my old man to get his 65 mustang running and out of the garage! it still pretty cold here in indiana!

thanks
Nakor

1 - 6 of 6 Posts