Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Search
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched, I'm just bad at finding stuff i'm looking for....

Can someone post the link to the thread that delt with replacing the valve cover screws that supposedly hold down better? And look better to?

·
1/2 Na-T Project
987 Posts
Search for my thread about polishing valve covers. There are pics posted in the thread. Later.

·
*I see you*
668 Posts
The only difference is that ppl use allen head bolts. They're a lot easier to turn and not strip. Go to the hardware store and find some that are the same size and thread pitch. Or buy them for $15 online..

If that's not enough throw on some loc-tite(not the tough stuff).

·
1/2 Na-T Project
987 Posts
m6x1.0mm, ~27mm long

·
No One Ever Listens To Me
5,467 Posts
just take one of the crappy phillips head stock screws...go to home depot and match up the thread pitch with their little string of size thingy lol...and then pick out the corresponding sized thread with the hex head :D simple enough...

E

·
0 Posts
i got some stainless from lowes with the hex on it. stainless
i think it was less then 5 bucks for all of them

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Uh, my bolts cost me all of 8 dollars CAD for the entire set. Oil hardened 5mm allen key heads, they look very..um...purposeful. Put some blue loctite on them and torque to specs (or ~20% above spec), they won't come off.

adam

·
Search
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here's another question... I remember reading somewhere that it was a good idea to keep the washers from the stock screws. I don't remember why that was said.

Thoughts?

·
1JZ BLING
2,604 Posts
same as 10mm bolts if you get stuck

·
Registered
64 Posts
If you clean threads on old valve cover screws and loctite, whats the diff?

Metal is metal, if the screw and inside of screw hole is cleaned, there is no reason that an allen screw is going to hold better than the stock screws.
Just my opinion.

·
No One Ever Listens To Me
5,467 Posts
Re: If you clean threads on old valve cover screws and loctite, whats the diff?

Purplexed said:
Metal is metal, if the screw and inside of screw hole is cleaned, there is no reason that an allen screw is going to hold better than the stock screws.
Just my opinion.
the problem isnt how well they hold in most cases...the problem is that they usually strip out rather easily while installing or removing...

therefore getting a hex head bolt in there is the best solution... plus its looks better ;)

·
This Is Why I'm Hot.....
1,984 Posts
Re: If you clean threads on old valve cover screws and loctite, whats the diff?

IdealSupra said:
the problem isnt how well they hold in most cases...the problem is that they usually strip out rather easily while installing or removing...

therefore getting a hex head bolt in there is the best solution... plus its looks better ;)
Silly rabbits.....
The screwheads were designed to deform when torque in excess of spec is applied. The torque is purposely low to utilize the elasticity in the cam cover gasket to form a contact seal, yet flexible enough to allow for expansion/compression as temps rise/fall. If your fasteners are too tight, you will be bypassing this design feature, compromising the efficacy of the seal.

What style fasteners are used is much less significant than the torque value applied to them. Also, be wary of fastener material choice, as I have seen residues of galvanic reactions of dissimilar metals from using cheap mild steel fasteners; but it's definitely not life-threatening. It's your pride & joy though, so don't scrimp, use SS.

The rubberized grommets are integral, so don't go cheap using flat washers. BTW: they are not dirt cheap, running ~$18+ for a set.

Lastly, thread locking substances are no replacement for proper torque. Their anerobic nature do provide some corrosion protection with dissimilar metals, but this has nothing to do with tightness.

I used SS Allen head screw that were ~1.05 USD each. Their form factor & tool allow easy tightening of all but two of the cam cover fasteners. The IC pipe to TB must come off to get to those last couple.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts