Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering b/c I think I have chance that mine are bad or my turbos or with my luck both plus the pistons!

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Valve Stem Seals

I believe it would cost anywhere from $600 - $900. That's why I am trying to do it by myself. I think the actual parts cost $150. Let me know if you hear different.

·
Premium Member
6,923 Posts
Re: Valve Stem Seals

If the shop can do it without removing head, it's an 8 hour job. That is about $400 ($50 per hour times 8 hours).
Peter

Trsupra73 said:
I believe it would cost anywhere from $600 - $900. That's why I am trying to do it by myself. I think the actual parts cost $150. Let me know if you hear different.

·
Yes, brothers own Supras
1,910 Posts
Re: Re: Valve Stem Seals

houstonT said:
If the shop can do it without removing head, it's an 8 hour job. That is about $400 ($50 per hour times 8 hours).
Peter

That is exactly how much I was quoted. They did it without removing the heads. It wasnt the problem though so I didnt get charged.

·
Premium Member
6,923 Posts
That is in the range for a "fair" price... I'm getting mine replaced even though the car only has 20k miles. I figure since i'm doing springs/retainers i might as well do the valve stem seals too. Same labor cost...
Peter

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Since your car is still under factory warranty, take it in and explain the symptoms. Only drawback is that you have to install all the OEM parts.

·
My mind is forged
895 Posts
Re: Valve Stem Seals

Trsupra73 said:
At Jay Marks you will pay 95$ for VSS

·
Premium Member
6,923 Posts
Monkey - i do NOT want Toyota to touch the car first of all. Second of all, i am doing titanium springs/retainers, i do NOT think the dealer will warranty that...

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
houstonT said:
Monkey - i do NOT want Toyota to touch the car first of all. Second of all, i am doing titanium springs/retainers, i do NOT think the dealer will warranty that...
For warranty work, I do recommend the dealer. I would suggest that you ask around and see which dealer comes with recommendation for their work (BBB usually works). If your doing the valve stem seals, have them install the springs/retainers as well. (They will warranty the work as well).

FWIW, my supra is currently at the dealer getting the valve stem seals and some other warranty work done.

·
Premium Member
6,923 Posts
Let me just tell you this. I have had a few supras and have been around the supra scene since 96. TRUST me when i tell you (yes, i'm speaking from experience) that Toyota dealers are by far the WORST at doing the work, the WORST with warranty items, the WORST customer service, and a PITA when it comes to doing ANYTHING NON stock.
I do 99.999% of the work myself. I am taking the car to Performance Motorsports in Austin (the same shop that does the work on SW's cars) for the second time. They did the install on my black car (valve stem seals, TI springs/retainers, cams, cam gears) and did a GREAT job. I would do it myself but do not have the tools to do so, not to mention, Chris at PM does GREAT quality work. He is damn good and does NOT mind you sitting there in his shop, while he works, looking at his every move. Many shops want you NO were near the work while it's being performed. Take my advice, STAY AWAY from dealerships, their work is subpar and they RARELY see supras in the shop (meaning they do NOT have much experience working on them).
Peter

Monkeyman said:
For warranty work, I do recommend the dealer. I would suggest that you ask around and see which dealer comes with recommendation for their work (BBB usually works). If your doing the valve stem seals, have them install the springs/retainers as well. (They will warranty the work as well).

FWIW, my supra is currently at the dealer getting the valve stem seals and some other warranty work done.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
houstonT said:
Let me just tell you this. I have had a few supras and have been around the supra scene since 96. TRUST me when i tell you (yes, i'm speaking from experience) that Toyota dealers are by far the WORST at doing the work, the WORST with warranty items, the WORST customer service, and a PITA when it comes to doing ANYTHING NON stock.
I do 99.999% of the work myself. I am taking the car to Performance Motorsports in Austin (the same shop that does the work on SW's cars) for the second time. They did the install on my black car (valve stem seals, TI springs/retainers, cams, cam gears) and did a GREAT job. I would do it myself but do not have the tools to do so, not to mention, Chris at PM does GREAT quality work. He is damn good and does NOT mind you sitting there in his shop, while he works, looking at his every move. Many shops want you NO were near the work while it's being performed. Take my advice, STAY AWAY from dealerships, their work is subpar and they RARELY see supras in the shop (meaning they do NOT have much experience working on them).
Peter

I do agree with most of what you are saying. I don't know about Austin, but the Toyota dealer I went to here, they were very courteous and helpful (at least the service writer). I'll have to see on the workmanship. ;)

I think it's great that PM let's their customers sit/stay in the workarea. Most shops do not practice having customer in the work area due to insurance (at least from what I was told).

As you've stated, dealerships are not knowledgable on our vehicles, due to not working on them. However, deciding to shell out $1000+ for work that can be done at no cost (ie. Warranty), I chose the no cost route.:p

In the end, as long as you are happy, that's all that counts.

·
Registered
302 Posts
With my experience with Toyota dealer they did a good job on my car but very recless in details and service....

Anyway i need to do teh valve seals as well ANYONE that knows a mecanic near Tampa, StPete or Orlando that will give a fair price.....

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
just had mine done, a week and a half ago, got quoted by titan motorsports in orlando about $1800. went to the dealership for $1375. took them 2 days. service was good, and talked to the mechanic that had done it. he had done it to approx 4 supras in the immediate area (melbourne). I no longer smoke. I am pleased w/ their service.. just a bit expensive. also have the knowledge that they'll warranty their job. just my 2 cents

·
Registered
302 Posts
Humm that sounds about right the same Toyota Dealer to be more specific Clearwater toyota gave me an estimate of 1200 to install them, but they said it looks good and will hold for a lot more...So I'm looking,

Right now is only a puff of white smoke in the mornings and sometimes when Idle.....Well I will wait more..then Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
6,923 Posts
monkey - amen, as long as you are happy that is all that matters. I guess i just feel better shelling out $400 or so and knowing it was done right. You do know that when your car goes in for warranty work, the dealer gets paid for a specified amount of time (the amount of time the manual says it should take) by toyota usa. If they go over on time, the dealer does not get paid for it. Many times, that is why warranty work is done shitty (especially as stated above, the minor details that do matter so much). I lost complete faith in dealers when on service MANAGER said that he did research and the BOV controls how much boost you make!!! :rolleyes:

sam - holy shit!!!! It's a $400 job...

·
1,522 Posts
I just don't see why you guys don't do it yourself. It is not a very hard task. There are even instrustions with pictures on mkiv.com. The parts only cost around $150. You could save yourself over 1 grand and it can be done in about 5-7 hours. I would do it for anyone for $200.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey boostedsuptt I might take you up on that $200 offer. It'd have to be a road trip from hell, maybe this summer??

I am in Greenville SC. I'd like to keep in contact with you about it.

Randy

·
Registered
302 Posts
Well Busted supra Its a deal ...As soon my Puff becomes unwanted and embarasing I will contact you on that $200 job

Then We will have fun racing!!!!!!!!

·
Supra Fender Covers PM me
502 Posts
Could someone tell me if this i need this done also if i have noticed a little smoke like at the gas station after about 4 hours of highway driving? Looked like smoke was coming from back part of engine?? Thanks

1 - 20 of 25 Posts