Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight my driver’s side window and back window got busted in. I don’t know who did it, but they didn’t take anything. I have a spare 86.5 that I could take the windows off and replace them with, but I don’t know how hard it is to do that. Should I try this myself or just have a shop do it?

·
yeah thats me!
2,570 Posts
do it your self, go to Autozone, or you equivalent and get some window weld gasket material stuff. You will have to remove your rear interior to take out the window, if you are talking about the hatch then that is a little more work. The drivers side window is no problem, but its easier w/ the help of one more person.

·
Banned
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For future reference, when replacing either of the front windows are you supposed to take the motor out of the door or try and bolt the window on while its still mounted to the door?

Also, any tips on removing the hatch window from the glue? This sucker just won’t come loose!

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
eps said:
For future reference, when replacing either of the front windows are you supposed to take the motor out of the door or try and bolt the window on while its still mounted to the door?

Also, any tips on removing the hatch window from the glue? This sucker just won’t come loose!
To replace a window you should have to remove the motor or at least detach it from it. However, the motor is all that holds it up, so you better have it braced or held up in another way while you do that.

For a windshield or a back window or any stationary piece of glass for that matter, glass companies have hooks with razors on them to cut into the eurethane adhesive to bring that glass out. You will probably have to get one of those tools if the adhesive is in there that good.

·
Registered
358 Posts
That sucks man, I woke up this morning and looked at my driver side rear rim and I was like wtf is that? Someone either took a piss on my rim or chucked their soda at it, friggin jealous people, oh well atleast they didn't break my windows, sorry to hear it man.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I have seen people use a strong wire to cut windows out. I guess they thread it through the adhesive, and then one person goes on the inside and another on the outside and they go around the window.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Make sure once you put the glass to let it cure for a couple of days. Then after that close your door with your window rolled down a little. I just had the one on my truck replaced and the guy said its good to let it settle and cure for 2 days and they you should be alright to drive as long as you crack the window.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts