Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Variable Vane turbo in new 911 = full boost and 457ft/lb at 1950RPM!!!

Reading the current Motortrend (with the Z06 vs tuner cars cover) and the new 911 is just... wow. I have always been one who thinks that exotics are silly, that they don't offer much over a properly tuned mid-level sports car other than prestige and polish.

The turbo technology being used in the new 911 is sick. Due to the variable vane technology used, it spools up instantly. MT says the full 457ft/lbs are available from 1950 RPM. That is ridiculous. I want to see a dyno chart, it has to look like a V8 on the low end and a BPU or small single on the high end. I have never wanted a porshe or other high dollar sports car before, but wow... just wow...

Someone needs to encorporate this into aftermarket kits ASAP. Is it just a mechanical thing or does it have to be computer controlled? I wonder how expensive it is... diesels have been using it for a long time...

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
didn't see any topic on it, at least not on the first page.

·
Registered
648 Posts
can't seem to find it in search myself, but i use the web for email, AIM, myspace, google, craigslist, ebay, and supraforums, and i'm pretty sure i didn't google "new porsche variable vane turbo". that leaves supraforums :)

it is pretty neat, but don't expect a kit to come out for your car any time soon.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it computer controlled though? If its just a mechanical thing it seems like you could just use the factory porshe turbo if you can find one somehow...

·
Registered
31 Posts
It is computer controlled.

This isn't actually new technology... it's been used on turbo-diesels for some time. It is some pretty exciting stuff though, and I also would like to see some dyno charts and flow charts to see just how much of an effect it has.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Yeah, the VTG is pretty impressive. Chrysler/Garrett had the VNT back in the day, but it worked differently. There was some patent infringement problems:
http://www.honeywell.com/en/power/announcement_details.jsp?rowID=1&docID=4264&catID=9

I am pretty sure that the VTG would be too expensive. A large part of their cost comes from the heat resistant materials used for the turbine as well as the control mechanism. Does anyone have a link to the patent? I too am curious as to 1) how it works 2) how similar it is to the garrett t25 w/vnt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts