Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
I BUILD AMAZING CARS
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alot of people are curious to see what the manifold looks like...i've got pictures..i remind you that the actual plenum as u see it does not come like that from Veilside. Enjoy the pictures...if anyone has any questions forward them to [email protected]!!
Thank you! [email protected] SP ENGINEERING!!

**NEW PICTURES** stock VS. Veilside

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
unpolished, IIRC

G

·
the thing costs $3,000+ it sure better provide power over stock .. and as well thats the one i was going to buy simply because I liked the clean look of it assembled, as well Veilside doesnt make cheap products to the best of my knowledge, so I'm going to own that intake.. I'm glad you posted pics of it, Much appreciated ~ Brett

·
I BUILD AMAZING CARS
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tear Drop said:
the thing costs $3,000+ it sure better provide power over stock .. and as well thats the one i was going to buy simply because I liked the clean look of it assembled, as well Veilside doesnt make cheap products to the best of my knowledge, so I'm going to own that intake.. I'm glad you posted pics of it, Much appreciated ~ Brett
actually, the retail price on the manifold is $2999 and I'm pretty sure MVP or SPE could get you a good deal!

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts
70 rwhp increase? Under what conditions? What car? What boost? What a/f? etc...
Peter

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I really like the newer style intake manifold offered by SP. It's similar to the Veilside and Bullish, but comes polished and is much cheaper. And since it was run on Peter Blach's record breaking car, we know it performs well. I think the VS is overpriced, even though it's a nice piece.

G

·
Oh so it DOES have full on velocity stacks. They stick into the plenum area. That decides it, I'm putting babies like that on my new intake manifold I'm building.

As for the HP claims, here's my two cents. Can't speak to that directly, but from most of what I have read on the subject velocity stacks like that can have that much of an effect. So we can't claim that 70RWHP gain is impossible, because it seems like it at least could be, given the stacks used.

I wouldn't install that on my car without a little grinding/polishing.

G

·
My deal is .. I'll ask where i can get all the parts on my list once i post my full parts wanted list.. all new of course, No B.S. no expense spared.. and originally i didnt know what it could or would do, I wanted it because it simply looks like awork of art, truly a beautiful thing when it's polished. Now given my parts list is close to as extensive, and or more then Mike Carlins.. So I'm guessing I would probably be more likely to see 70 WHP of that intake, then another single upgraded car might with lesser parts, or no engine management system yes???? ~ Brett

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts
Many of you are missing the point. All i'm asking is for DIFINITIVE PROOF that this manifold makes power!!!!!! I had NO proof that my manifold did, but I had proof that my manifold flowed evenly to all 6 cylinders. Can we atleast get that with the VS????? Something more than "it was in a magazine".
Peter

·
Super Moderator
10,706 Posts
houstonT said:
Many of you are missing the point. All i'm asking is for DIFINITIVE PROOF that this manifold makes power!!!!!! I had NO proof that my manifold did, but I had proof that my manifold flowed evenly to all 6 cylinders. Can we atleast get that with the VS????? Something more than "it was in a magazine".
Peter
Peter, I'm trying to arrange just that. Either on my car or another. I prefer another for a number of reasons: (1) My custom GReddy twin set-up is definitely not the norm. (2) I may be having turbo capacity issues. (3) I may be having dp/mp capacity issues. I did 789 whp and 624 lb-ft at 1.95 bar with a ported and extrude honed stock manifold. Haven't had the opportunity to finish the tuning on my car, but now that it is finished and back from SEMA, I want to find out what's going on here. So far, I've done 800.8 and 633 lb ft at the same boost level. I'm not running as much timing (yet) with the F-CON V-Pro as I did with my old VPC/GCC combo, but that's coming as well the next time I get to the dyno. (4) On a car with a big single like 99% of you guys have, the variables are significantly reduced, especially on the dp/mp side of things (my stuff is all custom, as is ALL of my intercooler piping, and I'm pretty sure not nearly as efficient as some of the stuff out there in the 3.5-4-inch range for the singles).

So, to help out on this issue, I'm trying arrange a definitive test on a friend's car, although I will keep this group informed about my results as well. I'd like to get this all done before the Xmas holidays, but I'm going to need a lotta luck.

Ken.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Always leave it to Ken and the T04r guys to put these issues to rest :)

Ken, any chance of an intake manifold shootout? Like, maybe put the VS, Titan, SP, PHR and WOTM's manifold's against each other? That would definately let people know which one to spend their hard earned money on.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Greg Bielawski said:

Ken, any chance of an intake manifold shootout? Like, maybe put the VS, Titan, SP, PHR and WOTM's manifold's against each other? That would definately let people know which one to spend their hard earned money on.
AMEN! This would put a TON of B.S. to rest for sure. I also agree that having casting marks on those stacks is criminal at that price! :eek: Those surfaces ought to be machined at that price.

How about just swapping a TB on a STOCK manifold to see if there's an improvement to be made? It wouldn't surprise me at all to find out that just doing that would show gains. The bolt pattern is awful close to a Mustang TB ;)

·
Super Moderator
10,706 Posts
Greg Bielawski said:

Greg,

I've been trying for some time to do just that. Its a helluva exercise with very difficult logistics to overcome. I've already gotten SPE's commitment to provide a VS intake and the dyno testing facility if needed. Since SPE would be competing with the VS intake, Alex is more comfortable having the testing occur at a "neutral" facility rather than at SPE so we'll have to see how it all plays out. I'll be sending a proposal to Primedia (Turbo, SCC, SuperStreet, European Car, etc.) for a bit of sponsorship in order to offset the shop's significant expenses in installing and uninstalling the various pieces. I'll need agreement from the players on the type of FMIC we will use. I'm suggesting the GReddy four-row because of superior piping, although any piping exiting the IC going into the plenum will have to be custom anyway.

I'd like each of the competitors to donate for testing only the intake mani and all associated hardware for installation, plus the piping exiting the IC before entering the plenum. The competitors would include, hopefully, WOTM, Sound Performance/Bullish, Titan, Speed Force Racing, SP Engineering and PHR. I would want those shops contributing manifolds to be present when their piece was being installed and tested (they would be welcome to view all of the proceedings as desired, but they would be required to be present when their particular mani was installed and dyno tested). I'd want someone respected in the community and without a competing product to serve as to4r's technical advisor and event "referee"....someone, at least IMO, like Chris Johnson from Performance Motorsports or Kean Wang from Boostlogic (no, I haven't approached either of them). I'd also like the technical editors of the various magazines present as observers and to track and record the happenings as they are taking place.

All this will, of course, take time, but I want, to the extent possible, to eliminate all excuses. We found out in our exhaust shootout on to4r that some of the manufacturers were not too keen about head-to-head testing against the direct competition. Certainly, we can't compell anyone to participate (and wouldn't even if we could) but, when we are ready, I can assure you formal invitations will go out to all the potential competitors and, hopefully, we will have 100% participation.

This is not meant to be all-inclusive but, last, and certainly not least....we need a car. I think I have this issue licked, though. Plus, Swantko, who started a similar thread some time back, volunteered the use of his car IIRC. We'll have a primary car and, hopefully, a couple of back-ups in case a car becomes unavailable for any reason at the time of the scheduled testing.

If or when I have more to report, I'll be back at you guys, but this is definitely rowing upstream, if you know what I mean.

Ken.

1 - 20 of 147 Posts