Supra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok... I know there is a great deal on info about the valve stem seal issue etc...though I still need some questions answered ..my 94 smokes in the morning....white-bluish smoke, I have no doubt the valve stem seals are leaking..now...

1)If I do a compression test what should I see that would tell how serious the problem is

2)If I keep driving like this, what is the worse case scenario of what might happen

3)If I do decide to let the dealership fix the valve stem seal, what are some of the things I might as well fix at the same time...
timing chain? etc

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
a1clark said:
Ok... I know there is a great deal on info about the valve stem seal issue etc...though I still need some questions answered ..my 94 smokes in the morning....white-bluish smoke, I have no doubt the valve stem seals are leaking..now...

1)If I do a compression test what should I see that would tell how serious the problem is

2)If I keep driving like this, what is the worse case scenario of what might happen

3)If I do decide to let the dealership fix the valve stem seal, what are some of the things I might as well fix at the same time...
timing chain? etc
1 - Compression test will not be directly affected by valve seals, because you are measuring the valve seal at the bottom (where combustion chamber pressure is held).

2 - It'll smoke more and more....it'll get annoying and embarassing.

3 - Have them install a new timing belt, water pump (depending on the mileage), replace valve cover hoses, maybe install some adjustable cam gears while at it......MKIV.com has a DIY write-up by Phil Panas.....check it out, not that hard.

·
Banned
4,144 Posts
That's pretty good, man. I myself get embarassed when I let loose a puff of blue smoke at a stoplight. Depending on what's done to your car, have a good tuner shop take the cylinder head off and replace the valve stem seals, upgrade the cams, and upgrade the valve springs. Might as well do it all at once if you're at that point.

Eric

1 - 3 of 3 Posts