Supra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· MKIII Owner
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
recently had the motor rebuilt and have been driving it about 5000 miles from work and to town etc. the oil pressure was about 40 or lower now it's reading 20lbs at 60mph 2700 rpm at 5th gear. at idle it straddles the 0-10 region... if it really was that bad i don't think i'd still be able to drive the car... is this a similar problem?

· Banned
5,915 Posts
I installed a aftermarket oil pressure gauge and I get 15 psi at idle when warm. Running 10w40 oil.

· Registered
355 Posts
Degree, did you use the new switch from the aftermarket seller or the original? Cause mine I used the New Switch and the gauge worked fine then tried the original and have like 100 plus pressure when gas is pushed. BUt, the wierd thing is that the new switch has a smaller hole for oil to come through and the original has a bigger hole well, normal stock hole. So?

· Banned
5,915 Posts
Degree, did you use the new switch from the aftermarket seller or the original? Cause mine I used the New Switch and the gauge worked fine then tried the original and have like 100 plus pressure when gas is pushed. BUt, the wierd thing is that the new switch has a smaller hole for oil to come through and the original has a bigger hole well, normal stock hole. So?
I just bought a mechanical gauge. t-ed it off from the factory oil pressure switch location and ran the line thru the firewall where the wiring harness goes into the cabin.

· Registered
737 Posts
I ran 5w20 or 10w20 full synthetic for the winter and in part of spring before i went bhg, but I always had really low pressure and when I would gas it it'd spike up really high and then while cruising i think it ran at like 20-40 I think, sorry but it's been over 2 months since I've driven it. but you should be fine.

· Where to now?
919 Posts
should be fine. the 7m pump is a high volume/low pressure pump. i run 5 weight in mine and sometimes it doesnt read on my stock guage ay idle.

if you can hear the valvetrain rattling at idle then you got problems. no oil getting there.

· Where to now?
919 Posts
rattling like valve knock or just like faint commotion?

well your always going to have some noise. its just the nature of moving parts. but if you have ever heard any engine real low on oil or no oil pressure, its pretty noticable.

it just goes back to past knowledge of the car. if it doesnt sound right to you, then most likely there is something wrong.

btw, what weight oil are you running? have you swapped out for a synthetic yet? if not atleast run an additive like lucas or something. that will help everything last longer and makes yoru engine run quieter.

· MKIII Owner
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well your always going to have some noise. its just the nature of moving parts. but if you have ever heard any engine real low on oil or no oil pressure, its pretty noticable.

it just goes back to past knowledge of the car. if it doesnt sound right to you, then most likely there is something wrong.

btw, what weight oil are you running? have you swapped out for a synthetic yet? if not atleast run an additive like lucas or something. that will help everything last longer and makes yoru engine run quieter.
i went from a break in 30w oil then about 500-1k i went to lucas 5w30. where i live the weather changes from warm to cold. god damn oregon

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.