Supra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,

I have a ecumasters classic Emu on my 93 2JZ-GTE. 6266 single turbo, Tial wastegate, 650cc injectors, HKS SSQV bov, on 17 psi. It is professionally tuned. I am currently having issues with choppy and rich idle. It starts up at like 9:1... which is excessively rich. My question is, is this rich enough to worry about washing the bore? I am not driving the car like this but I have been making changes trying to fix it and letting it idle like this until it warms up a bit. Once it is warm it runs well but still is on the richer side, idle 12.5, cruise 14.7, WOT is 11.2-10.8 ish. I'm not worried about my afr's after it is warm but the idle does concern me. I am changing my coolant temp sensor, exhaust manifold gasket as it was leaking, my v band clamp as it was leaking as well, re-routing my map sensor hose since it was not directly in the intake manifold but t'd off the hard line on the fuel pressure regulator ( Past owner did this). Regardless am I putting my engine at any risk with this rich of an afr on idle? I compression tested it last week to be safe and it was 155 across the board but it still concerns me. Thank you

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Yes, 9:1 is a very rich idle and will wash the cylinders and foul the plugs. It should hit 14.7 after it's in closed loop and never look back. 12.5 idle once warm is still too rich. With aggressive cams, some cars idle around 13.5, but that should be the limit.

Al

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now that is what is weird, it is not fouling plugs. I don't smell any oil in the gasoline at all. I mean you can definitely smell fuel on start and cold idle, but it's not chugging black smoke it's a lighter gray fuel color. I definitely know that I have to get that taken care of but I am trying to figure out why it is happening. I bought the car with this issue and I'm not driving it the way it is. I just assume he's ran it like this for some time and wanted to know if that AFR on warm up of 9:1- 9.5:1 for about 5 minutes could cause any detrimental issue with the engine. I will be trying to replace things and if all else fails it's going to the same place for a re-tune.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts