Supra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
87 non-turbo automatic. Cannot seem get the TPS adjusted properly...or maybe it is something else...or everything else...starting cold...motor revs up normally, but under load transmission kicks directly from first into overdrive...and not much happens, if anything, when stepping on the gas...floor the pedal...and it simply hesitates...like it is loading up...virtually no acceleration. I have to soft pedal it until the engine warms up...then it begins to move.

Even at operating temperature, it still kicks from first to overdrive... no power ... certainly no passing gear. I pull out in traffic and begin to pray and sweat profusely.

I have traced and checked the wiring to the TPS from the harness, and it looks sound. There is continuity. I adjust it by the book...put the spacer in and wait for the meter dial to deflect as I turn it clockwise. I pull the batt cable to clear memory.
Still...runs like crap. I notice I am able to bring about changes when I diddle with the TPS position, but nothing is right. I may get better acceleration, but not as it should be. The idle then begins to roughen up. Shifting is still erratic. Sometimes it shifts normally. Sometimes not...

The timing checks out. There's no miss. It just labors badly...

I'm wondering what the symptoms might be for a plugged up Cat converter...
someone mentioned the AFM might be failing or failed...then again, I wonder about the speed sensors and crap in the transmission...

I dunno...put this thing back together from scratch about 5 years ago...did the headgasket/head rebuild myself...just finished doing the heater core replacement
(a job from Hell) and I thought I knew this beast...now I am completely bewildered...

Any ideas???

·
DDDDUUUUUBBBBBZZZZZZZZ
2,022 Posts
Sounds tranny related, check all electronics related to the tranny

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, that's the odd part. No codes...no check engine light...the transmission 'od off' light blinks sometimes, not always, and stops blinking when the TPS is in a certain position- but not the position where it should be when installed by the book...when it's cold, even dropping it into 2nd gear manually has no effect on the engine run...still doesn't speed up under load...FYI, it is not the original auto transmission...it had been replaced before I purchased the car and performed well...al my 'troubles' seemed tobegin when the existing TPS did go bad-- tranny wouldn't shift into the higher gears except at extremely high rpms...and I got TPS codes...I have replaced the TPS with 2 different (used) units...each bearing the correct model numbers for my year and type...frustrating...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts