Supra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I go to start my car today and when I turned the key all I hear was one click and then nothing. There is no power to anything, no head lights, dome light etc. So I go to jump the car and when I try to start it nothing at all happens, not even a click. I go get a meter to test the battery and I get 12.45 volts. I check all connections to the battery and everything is fine. While I am checking connections and fuses I hear beeping. The beeping was from having my door open so I look inside and my dome light is on and I have power. So I turn the key and hear one click then the dome light and the beeping stop. Once again I have no power.

My fuses in the engine bay and driver side are fine, so I am thinking it is a bad relay. What relay could cause this? Could it be the breaker? Any ideas on what this could be?

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
well the circuit breakers can be reset by sticking a toothpick in the little hole on their cover...
Which one to poke at is klinda hard to tell.

Did you check the ALT fuse in the engine compartment fuse box??

Sounds like a dead battery or something that does not have enough CCA power anymore...
Maybe alternator went bad and couldn't charge it up??

·
Banned
531 Posts
i had this exact problem, it was an alternator fuse...

big ass fuse though, you gotta unscrew the two wires connecting to the fuse, and pop in the new one, then screw in the wires, tight squeeze, took me about 30 minutes.....

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SUPRASTANGER507mgte said:
well the circuit breakers can be reset by sticking a toothpick in the little hole on their cover...
Which one to poke at is klinda hard to tell.

Did you check the ALT fuse in the engine compartment fuse box??

Sounds like a dead battery or something that does not have enough CCA power anymore...
Maybe alternator went bad and couldn't charge it up??

I checked the 100 amp alt fuse it was fine. I guess I will look in my TSRM and see what breaks/relays might have something to do with starting. The battery has enough power 12.45 volts is normal.

So all the usually round things with one hole in them located near the fuses are circuit breakers?

·
Always playing catch up
1,632 Posts
SykoCerebral said:
i had this exact problem, it was an alternator fuse...

big ass fuse though, you gotta unscrew the two wires connecting to the fuse, and pop in the new one, then screw in the wires, tight squeeze, took me about 30 minutes.....
where is this? as i think mines on the way out (will over great periods of time (days/weeks) i have the car completely die of all electronics when i start but when i mess with the battery will come back on either by banging the battery (old one) or mess with the terminals)

<l><l>

·
Banned
531 Posts
engine bay fuse box, it's the blue square one that says 100 on it...

unclip the fuse box and look under...

dont try to pull it up, it's impossible..

·
Always playing catch up
1,632 Posts
gracis, ill get it at work tomrmow

<l><l>

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
Also, do you have an aftermarket alarm in your car?

I bought a mKiii recently and owner could not get it running.....brought it home and it was doing exactly what you are describing, even jumping it wouldn't do anything.

So I looked for the alarm, the main power wire ( White with blue stripe ) on the ignition harness was cut and then was bypassed through the alarm starter kill unit.
I removed the alarm wire and rejoined the main wire and the car started up like a nothing happened.
May wanna check that as well.

·
+1 FTMFW
756 Posts
most electrical problems come from somone puting on aftermarket electronics or removing oem electronics

how did you check the alt. fuse?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My car only has the stock alarm system. All I did was look at the fuse and it looked fine the metal that usually blows was still intact.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
The problem with your car is this:
The contacts to the battery posts are corroding. Take the pos. and neg. terminals off the battery, sand them up a bit, as well as the battery posts, and reinstall.
You're done.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The contacts to the battery posts are corroding. Take the pos. and neg. terminals off the battery, sand them up a bit, as well as the battery posts, and reinstall.
You're done.

Ill try it but they look pretty clean to me hardly any corroding.

·
SF Lurker
31 Posts
You're done.
:werd:

I'm having the same issue right now. If I just wiggle the battery cables, then it seems to work for a bit. I can start it up for at least a day or two, then I have to wiggle the cables again. Cleaning up your terminals should solve your problem.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You're done.

Well it wasn’t the terminals it was the 4 gauge wire going to it. I cut it open with a razor blade and it was corroded, so I cut about an inch off and hooked the bitch up and my car started fine.

So pretty much you were right THANKS!

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
D-Shot said:
Well it wasn’t the terminals it was the 4 gauge wire going to it. I cut it open with a razor blade and it was corroded, so I cut about an inch off and hooked the bitch up and my car started fine.

So pretty much you were right THANKS!

No prob- The fact that you'd have power till you put a big load on the system(ignition start) meant that there WAS a path for electricity to flow, but when the big amps hit, it was too small of a path for the current to pass through.
:)

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No prob- The fact that you'd have power till you put a big load on the system(ignition start) meant that there WAS a path for electricity to flow, but when the big amps hit, it was too small of a path for the current to pass through.
:)
Makes sense

1 - 16 of 16 Posts