Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched around, and read all the threads of bushings, and this and that where people vibrate around 60 and then punch through it at higher speeds, but that is not my problem.

Around 80mph my car begins with a slight vibration, and by the time I get to 130, the vibration is so bad I can't keep in it. It feels like the car is going to hop off the ground on the front end. The tires haven't been changed since the last time I hit high speeds when I first got the car, and they're still good tires, not hit anything with the front either, anyone else had this problem or could recommend a possible solution?

Thanks,
William

1996 Supra TT auto

·
488ci V10 Power
1,785 Posts
Most likely the problem is tire balance. Get the tires rebalanced and see if that helps. if not, then it might be suspention related, bushings, springs, ect...

·
Registered
193 Posts
Get the alignment checked, a lot of places will do that for free. I had the same problem- vibration starting at ~80 MPH.. alignment got rid of it.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I have the same problem...not as bad though. I had my alignment rechecked, everything was o.k. I even had the tires road forced, I guessed that what they called it...expensive as hell. I still have a slight vibration around 80mph. The only thing I havent checked out, is the suspension. I have a '98 and never hit anything or jump any curves, I dont think the suspension is worn out already. With my situation, I think it might be the tires. I had Falkens on the car before and had a slight virabration but had an alignment done...took car of the problem. Now, with the new tires (Nitto 555 extreme), my car has a slight vibration.

G

·
You might want to check the drive shaft and u-joints. A unbalanced wheel can cause vibration, but not so bad like you described.

·
In The Sonoran Desert
507 Posts
ANother possibility is the engine mounts. I had mine replaced on my integra way back when I had one and the vibration at 70 went away.

Just a thought

G

·
Motor mounts on a rear wheel drive cars won't cause the type vibration he is describing. On an integra when the mount breaks it sags and causes metal to metal contact creating a slight vibration.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I do have a broken motor mount though, I have the low speed popping that MKIV.com describes for the driver side broken motor mount, maybe I'll get that fixed and see if it helps, if not, I'll replace my front tires, and get an allignment.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Also, if the tires have been out of balance for some time, they would have worn unevenly, and you won't get perfect balance again until you get new tires. It's worth the money for the MKIV to align and balance it very often, otherwise you'll be buying lots of tires. :)

·
Registered
528 Posts
If nothing else works maybe your brake rotors are way warped. get them turned and see if it goes away.

·
No Mercy
387 Posts
If it's not the wheel balancing, it's the alignment.

However.....

Most cars in their middle ages are wearing their suspension bushings out fast. Worn bushings lead to unreliable alignments that change and strange vibrations that result from a vibrating control arm.

Nothing will fix this problem except new bushings. If you constantly rebalance and realign your car, to no avail, then this is the problem. Other symptoms include "knocking" sounds from the wheel wells, inconsistent steering feedback, inconsistent braking performance, bump steering, tramlining, "sloppy" general feeling, etc.

I'm test-fitting a set of bushings for our cars right now, it should hit the market soon.

·
Useless Member
717 Posts
hey my car does the popping noise while backing and braking hard out of a sloped driveway. the front end also squeaks/creaks when i go over bumps or nasty dips. i'm trying to figure out if its engine mounts or bushings or my control arm, or my hub + bearing.

i had a light vibration at 80+ mph when I got on the brakes, thought it was my warped rotors, i had them resurfaced so that went away. but this creaking noise is pissing me off! what is it??

·
BPU is so 1997
5,354 Posts
KReddy05 said:
hey my car does the popping noise while backing and braking hard out of a sloped driveway. the front end also squeaks/creaks when i go over bumps or nasty dips. i'm trying to figure out if its engine mounts or bushings or my control arm, or my hub + bearing.

i had a light vibration at 80+ mph when I got on the brakes, thought it was my warped rotors, i had them resurfaced so that went away. but this creaking noise is pissing me off! what is it??
The creaking noise you hear when backing out and braking on a sloped driveway is your sway bar bushings. You need to unbolt the sway bar mounts, pry the, open a little, and put white lithium grease in there. Just lube it up a bit where the bushing clasps around the sway bar.

·
Useless Member
717 Posts
no when i back out and brake it's the poping noise...

when i go over speed bumps and dips and such it's creaking noise.

·
Useless Member
717 Posts
hmm someone told me it could be control arm bushings?

any way to tell? also, what can i use for lubrication? for my car.

:D

can anyone describe/link the proper procedure to do this at home?

·
Useless Member
717 Posts
KReddy05 said:

i have three possible choices:

engine mounts
control arm bushings
sway bar bushings (i have the upgraded trd sway bars btw)

my car has 58k miles, where should i start (what's easiest)

alright thanks guys, later

1 - 20 of 25 Posts