Supra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a slight vibration in the car that seems to start around 3300+ rpm. I just had a 1 piece driveshaft put in and it seems to run very smooth until I get around 3300 rpm. The guy at the driveshaft place mentioned that the back of the transmission that accepts the driveshaft might be loose and sure enough there is a little play - is there supposed to be a little play where the driveshaft enters the transmission?

·
Registered
106 Posts
bradleyb said:
I have a slight vibration in the car that seems to start around 3300+ rpm. I just had a 1 piece driveshaft put in and it seems to run very smooth until I get around 3300 rpm. The guy at the driveshaft place mentioned that the back of the transmission that accepts the driveshaft might be loose and sure enough there is a little play - is there supposed to be a little play where the driveshaft enters the transmission?
Does the vibration start at 3300 rpm in every gear?
And you mean you have play in the sliding part from the driveshaft and the trans axle?

·
Acting my age
3,968 Posts
The only play you should have is in and out.. Definetely not up and down. Also if the DS is not balanced it can cause vibration. Take a picture of the input shaft of the transmission and post it if you can.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There seems to be vibration in most gears about 3300 rpm or so but more pronounced at say 4000 in fifth on the freeway.

there seems to be a little slip when you hold the driveshaft close to where it enters the transmission and push up (perpendicular or skyward relative to the driveshaft that is parallel to the earth). Sounds like this could be a problem.

the guy at the driveshaft place (driveline in Whittier) said to bring the ds back and he would check it no problem - going to probably do this tomorrow

will try to take a shot of the transmission entrance and post later

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
picture

Check out this picture - there is some leakage. Would that be an indication that the rear housing piece needs to be replaced? I got a new seal. Gonna take off the driveshaft and have it checked to see, everyone can make mistakes. I have known quite a few folks that have used driveline and seem to think Bill knows his stuff...... Also, if the driveshaft was out of balance wouldn't you feel the vibration emanating out of the rear of the car - this seems to come out right from underneath where you sit - which made his comment on the housing piece seem plausible (the Longo parts guy mentioned that they go out as well - and this tranny has almost 300k in miles - part is $340).

Help me out guys :bowdown:

·
Registered
106 Posts
bradleyb said:
Check out this picture - there is some leakage. Would that be an indication that the rear housing piece needs to be replaced? I got a new seal. Gonna take off the driveshaft and have it checked to see, everyone can make mistakes. I have known quite a few folks that have used driveline and seem to think Bill knows his stuff...... Also, if the driveshaft was out of balance wouldn't you feel the vibration emanating out of the rear of the car - this seems to come out right from underneath where you sit - which made his comment on the housing piece seem plausible (the Longo parts guy mentioned that they go out as well - and this tranny has almost 300k in miles - part is $340).

Help me out guys :bowdown:
yes have the DS checked and compared to your stock one.
i think both possible problems you mentioned can result in the vibration "under the seat"
and it's a bit strange the vibration is rpm-dependent, with an out of balance DS it should be speed-dependent?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it's a bit strange the vibration is rpm-dependent, with an out of balance DS it should be speed-dependent

that's what I thought too - which made the transmission seem more plausible as a reason for the vibration, hating.

usually the 87 supra is my daily driver and i keep my real rice rocket (2005 STI) for the weekends - been out of commission for a month or so and already have a broken windshield and several paint chips (I drive alot). :rolleyes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts