Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Read a lot about vibrations on the forum, but I could use some suggestions about the one in mine.
Car: 1994 TT automatic 165K
Vibration: At about 62 mph it gets going strong. It is a high speed vibration. Not like a tire. You feel it most in the steering wheel. You feel it a little bit while at an idle, in gear at a red light. Seems to be the strongest when you let your foot off the gas and are coasting down from the 62 mph.
Repairs so far: Tires have been checked at three tire stores on the good machine. Almost new Michelin. Bare wheels have been taken to a wheel repair specialty shop. Nothing bent or unusual. Wheels seem to be good. Drive shaft replaced with a factory new one from Toyota and done by Toyota. Didn't help, no change. Toyota tech said he feels like the tie rod ends are good, very tight, and he can't feel any slack in the front wheel bearings. Transmission mount has been replaced, maybe five years ago. Harmonic balancer was replaced five years ago. Might have 10K miles on it. Toyota tech said the motor mounts look good, they are probably original. Engine runs perfect.
Would like to hear any suggestions. I'm out of ideas and spending a lot of money.
Thanks for reading my post.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I would still suspect the motor mounts if it's doing it in Drive while stopped especially along with the age and mileage on the chasis. I just replaced mine when my motor was rebuilt, which fixed a vibration I had while stopped. One of mine was completely cracked. Sometimes bad mounts and bushings look "okay" to the naked eye then when you pull them they aren't.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Replaced the transmission mount. I thought it had been replaced before, but apparently not. I feel less vibration, but it is still there. I had a clunk sound when I put the car in drive and the transmission mount cured that. Hate to do it, but motor mounts are about all that's left.

·
Mind if I do a J?
3,279 Posts
Check the power steering rack bushings

·
Registered
1 Posts
Replaced the transmission mount. I thought it had been replaced before, but apparently not, like a side dish. I feel less vibration, but it is still there. I had a clunk sound when I put the car in drive and the transmission mount cured that. Hate to do it, but motor mounts are about all that's left.
i had the same problem of the vibration and the transmission mount change has solved the problem. it was almost a year ago and since then no issues whatsoever in regards to vibrations. although i have others now...

·
Registered
Rejoined
30 Posts
Grade A,
Is it fixed to your liking yet? Was it the motor mounts?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts