Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
100% Stock
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just now putting my 94' 6-speed on the road after purchasing it in late december. We(my father and I) drove to Lewisville,Tx to pick the car up. On the drive back to WV, right away i noticed a strange vibration when i got up to speed. I'm hoping it is just due to the rear tires being completely bald, but my mechanic thinks the vibration is coming from up front. He asked me what the brakes felt like(he hadn't drove or ridden in the car). The brakes felt great to me, and the previous owner had just put new rotors on the car...so i really doubt this is the problem. The shake(i can feel it through the steering wheel as well) gets fairly strong between 55-75mph, above and below this speed it is not as noticable.
Any help with trying to diagnose the problem would be much appreciated. Thanks all

·
Registered
479 Posts
it's the steerig rack. ex owner may of hit something hard with front tires. open up the hood, reach down and grab the steering rod and shake it. If it's loose or moves a lot then it's your steering rack..

C

·
0 Posts
It may just be you alignement right????? The extra '??' means I may be wrong!

F

·
0 Posts
Go to a tire & wheel sales/service store. Tell them exactly what is happening.... they will be able to diagnose the problem better than a mechanic if it is alignment or balance related..... and it will save you some coin compared to an auto shop.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Check your wheel bearings too. The rear ones in particular. My car had a strange vibration that I couldn't figure out and I had the tires rebalanced and the car aligned for nothing. It was the rleft rear wheel bearing all along, this was a very common problem on these cars. Check that before you spend money for high speed balancing and an alignment.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts