Supra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I drive over 70mph, my car starts to shake.

At first I thought the vibration was strictly from the driveshaft as I had a worn center bearing. I replaced it with a 1 piece driveshaft and I still have the same vibration.

The whole car shakes but I don't get much vibration through the steering wheel.

It has done this on 2 different sets of wheels/tires so chances are good that it's not a balancing/tire issue.

Any guess what else it could be?

I get a clicking noise from the rear when I go on/off gas or clutch-in which I'm assuming is the differential/diff bearings.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Seen this all to many times....absolutely bad right hand driveshaft/cvjoint.

Replace it and your problem will be solved.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Seen this all to many times....absolutely bad right hand driveshaft/cvjoint.

Replace it and your problem will be solved.
You mean half-shaft?

I'll give it a look-over. Like I said I'm getting a clicking noise when I go on/off gas.
Only things that can make the noise is something to do with the differential or half-shaft and I think both could cause vibration at speed.

·
MKIII Owner
273 Posts
If I drive over 70mph, my car starts to shake.

At first I thought the vibration was strictly from the driveshaft as I had a worn center bearing. I replaced it with a 1 piece driveshaft and I still have the same vibration.

The whole car shakes but I don't get much vibration through the steering wheel.

It has done this on 2 different sets of wheels/tires so chances are good that it's not a balancing/tire issue.

Any guess what else it could be?

I get a clicking noise from the rear when I go on/off gas or clutch-in which I'm assuming is the differential/diff bearings.
just by chance... is your car a targa top?

·
(◕_◕)
3,756 Posts
Check the universal joints on your driveshaft, if they are okay move to the rear drive axles. Could also be a warped rotor(s) on the rear.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Tires and alignment would cause the steering to shake. Blown shock maybe?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tires and alignment would cause the steering to shake. Blown shock maybe?
Although I haven't had an alignment done on the Supra recently, it had one done 2 years ago when the coilovers were put in. I've had really wonkey alignments before and they never cause vibration issues.

I'm going to rule blown shock out too as none are leaking and I'm pretty sensitive to shock performance since I race competitively and chances are good I would've picked up a blown shock problem even if there are no external leaks.

use a hunter road force balancing machine before ruling out your wheels.
This happened on 2 different sets of wheels which makes it unlikely already.

To make it even more unlikely it's a balancing issue, I used one of the sets of wheels on my other car prior to putting it on the Supra and it didn't give me any issues before the change over.

·
Registered
380 Posts
If the right rear cv joint is making noise there is your problem.

I know because my brother had one go out after hitting a ditch and it made a clicking noise every once in a while while turning under power. He ended up selling the car when I was gone.

It had a vibration that everyone kept saying was wheels or drive line. The guy that bought it, brought it to me and asked me to fix it. I told him to replace the cv joint and a week later he was happy as can be. Vibration was gone.

There are two cv joints on the right rear drive axle. They are cheap enough to just replace the whole thing.

·
Registered
134 Posts
i wouldnt think its an alignment. here at our dealership never has an alignment caused a vibration, i would start with a road force balance and/or put it on a lift and rule out the front wheels or rear wheels at that speed. good luck

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There is some play when the car is up on the hoist when I turn the wheels forward/reverse. Makes a clicking noise too.

I put in a 1 piece driveshaft and it got rid of some banging that was caused from worn center bearing.

I'm leaning towards worn axles.

·
Automotive Technician
106 Posts
if the whole car is shaking (you feel more of the shaking in the seat of your pants) it is an issue in the rear of your car. does it happen all of the time or only when you are braking or accelerating?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
if the whole car is shaking (you feel more of the shaking in the seat of your pants) it is an issue in the rear of your car. does it happen all of the time or only when you are braking or accelerating?
The shaking is 100% coming from the rear.

It definitely happens during acceleration, not sure about racing. If I back off the throttle at those speeds, it still does it. I've also tried touching the brake, I don't remember there being a change other than that driving at slower speeds reduces the vibrations.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts