Supra Forums banner

481 - 500 of 517 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Steep is pretty bad ass if you like snow sports. The "snow effects" are amazing. It really, REALLY looks and acts like snow does.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Abzu is out (made by the folks that made Journey) It is substantially better than Journey

·
can you not
2,084 Posts
Agreed. Anyone playing Far Cry 5? I wanna pick it up, but I feel like a red box rental is all it needs.
I'm waiting for a sale, but I've been hearing it's the best of the series. I'll pick it up when it's $20-30, but I'm a big FC fan.

Just finished Dead Space again last night. Still an unsettling game... kind of a shame that 2 and 3 devolved into action shooters. I didn't even play 3. 2 was horror-ish enough to be good though.

I just now got my Obutto Ozone set up and my Vive back together. Gonna be doing some VR simming soon :D

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
anyone do anything besides video games like board games? a long time ago i wanted to build and play warhammer 40k and other model warfare games. like playing a physical version of command and conquer or starcraft. so i delved in this last year so i had something to do in the winter time besides sit in front of a console or computer when it was crap outside.

i know, it's a big nerd thing, but to each their own. besides, i know the genre appeals to a lot of former military who run campaigns in things like bolt action (more realistic wargame)

·
can you not
2,084 Posts
anyone do anything besides video games like board games? a long time ago i wanted to build and play warhammer 40k and other model warfare games. like playing a physical version of command and conquer or starcraft. so i delved in this last year so i had something to do in the winter time besides sit in front of a console or computer when it was crap outside.

i know, it's a big nerd thing, but to each their own. besides, i know the genre appeals to a lot of former military who run campaigns in things like bolt action (more realistic wargame)
I don't have enough friends locally who are into that stuff. I do enjoy board games though :(

Does make me wonder if VR will help with social things like that. Instead of having to all find a time to get together, you can play online but with a much better sense of presence.

Tabletop games would be pretty awesome that way.

Cost is the only thing holding it back.

ETA: I wanted to get into 3D printing tabletop game pieces, I'm sure nerds would be into it if it makes it easier to develop their own games :naughty:

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
I don't have enough friends locally who are into that stuff. I do enjoy board games though :(

Does make me wonder if VR will help with social things like that. Instead of having to all find a time to get together, you can play online but with a much better sense of presence.

Tabletop games would be pretty awesome that way.

Cost is the only thing holding it back.

ETA: I wanted to get into 3D printing tabletop game pieces, I'm sure nerds would be into it if it makes it easier to develop their own games :naughty:
i have printed an entire terrain landscape for some games already, maybe we need a 3d printing thread too lol.

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
there are a few computer/vr board game sims though too, you play the game in vr, its not automated or anything. same for tabletop stuff, but those are way more clunky right now.

the future will easily be AR boardgames with friends across the globe, not VR imho.

·
can you not
2,084 Posts
I don't have a printer yet, I need to just pick one and jump in instead of waiting for perfection :sad:

I kind of mix VR and AR up when I discuss one or the other. AR would be cool, but if it's something like a phone app style I could only see it being used for more casual games.

VR would be for completely losing yourself.

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
I don't have a printer yet, I need to just pick one and jump in instead of waiting for perfection :sad:

I kind of mix VR and AR up when I discuss one or the other. AR would be cool, but if it's something like a phone app style I could only see it being used for more casual games.

VR would be for completely losing yourself.
i got a monoprice maker select v2, the build area is decent and the price was right (200 "used" on amazon, was actually new just returned by someone claiming they used it).

if you buy one, like an FDM (filament), don't buy into the hype, generally you'll be upgrading it by printing out new cooling shrouds, new fans and things like that to get it to run more consistently. after that its all about the filament and the settings and how you set it up and square it. working with CNC machines the size of a house gives me a little bit of an advantage, take it all with a grain of salt. the same as the Gun community freaks out if you don't go and buy a Magpul armorers wrench, because they have no idea what the names of the actual tools are you can use to assemble an AR.

as for VR vs AR. VR had better get its act together when it comes to motion sickness before people move to AR for things like that. i only see AR being a thing when it can be compressed down to a small set of glasses that don't look any different than something you would wear anyway, (eg. ballcap and glasses)

·
can you not
2,084 Posts
as for VR vs AR. VR had better get its act together when it comes to motion sickness before people move to AR for things like that. i only see AR being a thing when it can be compressed down to a small set of glasses that don't look any different than something you would wear anyway, (eg. ballcap and glasses)
I'll look into printers more heavily soon...

I agree with the above. Over the last few years I've become more susceptible to motion sickness but the Vive hasn't gotten to me yet (aside from glitches when the tracking doesn't work, but those are few and far between like on certain loading screens). Two of my best friends get severe motion sickness from VR though :(

Augmented reality has a shit ton more practical applications than VR, but I predict that both are going to be very widespread in the coming years. I'm looking forward to using both. Gaming really is just the tip of the iceberg for VR, education is going to be huge and training will be as well (I think Volkswagen is using VR to train a few thousand employees right now).

AR is going to be awesome for a lot of industries like utilities and construction when you can easily see under the surface. Heck, homes built with it in mind would be cool too, no more using a stud finder to hang pictures, just hold up your phone :)

We're slightly off topic :p

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
I'll look into printers more heavily soon...

I agree with the above. Over the last few years I've become more susceptible to motion sickness but the Vive hasn't gotten to me yet (aside from glitches when the tracking doesn't work, but those are few and far between like on certain loading screens). Two of my best friends get severe motion sickness from VR though :(

Augmented reality has a shit ton more practical applications than VR, but I predict that both are going to be very widespread in the coming years. I'm looking forward to using both. Gaming really is just the tip of the iceberg for VR, education is going to be huge and training will be as well (I think Volkswagen is using VR to train a few thousand employees right now).

AR is going to be awesome for a lot of industries like utilities and construction when you can easily see under the surface. Heck, homes built with it in mind would be cool too, no more using a stud finder to hang pictures, just hold up your phone :)

We're slightly off topic :p
offtopic, but right on topic.

video game vs real world utility. lincoln electric has a sim that could be considered a video game for welding.

vr tabletop sim. you can do board games, card games, wargames, etc. whatever someone has modeled things for. if big time companies get involved i'd expect this to blow up in gaming because it'll be just one more market for people in VR, a real use for VR, social games with people who aren't there, but it feels like they are there.

on a more related note, may 22nd, spacehulk deathwing expansion comes out with actual progression. ive got the original and it's pretty fun for a blast'em'up shooter, and it should be even better after this update.

·
can you not
2,084 Posts
vr tabletop sim. you can do board games, card games, wargames, etc. whatever someone has modeled things for. if big time companies get involved i'd expect this to blow up in gaming because it'll be just one more market for people in VR, a real use for VR, social games with people who aren't there, but it feels like they are there.
FFS. I was going to post that someone should make simple VR engine for developers to make VR versions of board or tabletop games alongside the real ones. Everybody steals my ideas :lol:

And yeah, this sort of thing could be huge... it's the simple, mundane things you wouldn't really think about that can have the biggest impact.

I bet VR could be a benefit for people who travel a lot for work. Have a model of your house/living room/whatever and hang out with your family while you're off in another country.

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
FFS. I was going to post that someone should make simple VR engine for developers to make VR versions of board or tabletop games alongside the real ones. Everybody steals my ideas :lol:

And yeah, this sort of thing could be huge... it's the simple, mundane things you wouldn't really think about that can have the biggest impact.

I bet VR could be a benefit for people who travel a lot for work. Have a model of your house/living room/whatever and hang out with your family while you're off in another country.
i don't think 99% of the people who choose lengthy travel jobs are trying to spend much time with their families anyway. years in the navy taught me the guys who do it for decades look forward to the time apart, and so do their wives. for reasons.... it'll make a good samsung feely feels commercial though, like the damn lazy grandma playing with her granddaughter through a creepy fuckin teddy bear. imagine a hacker getting into that thing in the middle of the night lol!!!!

481 - 500 of 517 Posts
About this Discussion
516 Replies
80 Participants
shak
Supra Forums
Supra Forums is the largest online Toyota Supra MKI, MKII, MKIII, MKIV and MKV owner's club community. Discuss DIY, modifications, and upgrades.
Full Forum Listing