Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you can see on this thread...
http://supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=266534
me and Matt (GotToyota?) have been putting together a compile for about three weeks now, and as you can read from the thread, we keep delaying the release date due to computer problems.

here are the specs of my computer...
2.8gig pentium processor
512mb DDR
60gig hard drive
windows XP home

I dont think that the problem has to do with my computer's specs, they seem pretty up to date on everything, I ran norton and microsoft anti spyware, and both found no problems...

I was wondering if any of you have had similar problems, The computer will just freeze, and when I go to control-alt-delete, the program will say that it isnt responding, I can end it no problem, and everything else will run fine. I even got another movie making software to see if that was the problem, but that didnt change anything.

the weird thing is, that around 230 in the morning it will start working just fine, and that will last about 30 minutes, so that doesnt get me much time to work on what I need to. I have unplugged the internet before, and shutdown ALL unnecessary applications, but that didnt seem to help anything, and when it is running good during the night, I didnt change anything to make it do that. its like my computer has a ghost. ANY help would/ suggestions would be great, sorry about the long post

-Jon

·
Super Duper Moderator
616 Posts
PC, that is your problem. ;)

I'm not entirely sure where the problem is located at. I would more then likely start on a clean XP platform and install your video editing software and leave it at that. Mixing a personal computer (especially PC) and video editing can become a real headache. I hope you get it to work. :)

·
Banned
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
as much as that sucks, thank you for your help, I might have to do that, but is there a way where I can reinstall xp, yet keep my programs that I dont have the cd's too anymore, like norton, and photoshop?

·
Registered
280 Posts
512 aint gonna cut it by any means. You need a gig -at least- to start playing with good quality video. I have 3200 Athlon 64 and 1.5g RAM with a 6600 video card and it works smooth. Dont forget about the hard drive either. SATA is the way to go with huge video files. What kind of video editing program are you using?

·
Registered
280 Posts
hmm..not much expierence with ulead. Ive been using Adobe for a while with no problems. First thing i would do though is get another 512 stick of RAM and you should notice a good performance boost. Then, try importing the video with another codec. From the size of the video it looks like youre using the DV codec which is great for quality, but its huge on the hard drive.

·
Banned
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
do you think that it is necessary for me to switch to adobe? that is the second program that I downloaded, and that ran even slower, as much as I love adobe products (photoshop) Im really not that good at their premeir edition software. I might be able to get that other stick of DDR ram, so how do I change the codecs?, thanks in advance

-Jon

·
Registered
280 Posts
Well, ulead should give you an option to select the codec when you import the video from the camera. If not then you should be able to either import the whole video section into ulead and then save it in another format, or re-import it from the camera and select the codec then. Another program that you can use is Canopus Procoder to change the video into another format. Overall its not necessary to switch to Adobe, but im partial to it since i am familiar with it and enjoy the quality that it allows. It was probably slower because it will load much more information into memory and requires a larger swap file on the hard drive. To make it the faster you could go with the memory upgrade and adding on a small drive(80gb) at the fastest speed that your motherboard will allow(ATA-66/100/133, SATA). If you plan on making alot of videos then id say go for it, but otherwise just go for the RAM.

·
Banned
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well, I only have about 20 gig of the hd used up, so I really dont think that adding another drive would really help anything, but I will be getting another 512 in the near future so we will see how that goes, thank you guys for all of your help

1 - 9 of 9 Posts