Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,

I am getting a ticking noise and rubbing noise coming from the engine. The first 10 seconds are with the accessory belt in place and the second half of the video is with the accessory belt removed to isolate the ticking noise. Any ideas? I am new to the Supra platform and I understand some ticking is normal but this seems loud. Engine just hit 100K.

Thanks.

J

·
Registered
613 Posts
Find a long screwdriver, stick the handle against your head above your temple, and probe around with the other end on different parts of the motor. Isolate the location of whatever it is, because it just sounds like an engine running from the video.
If it seems louder without the accessories spinning, maybe the valves need lashed.
Any other info on the motor history? Likely nothing.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Find a long screwdriver, stick the handle against your head above your temple, and probe around with the other end on different parts of the motor. Isolate the location of whatever it is, because it just sounds like an engine running from the video.
If it seems louder without the accessories spinning, maybe the valves need lashed.
I've seen that on YouTube but I've never tried the screwdriver against the temple trick. I'll give it a shot.

I'll look into the valves being lashed. Hopefully it is nothing but I would rather take care of anything that needs to get done now during the winter if I can. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
89 Turbo - 2JZGE-T VVti (build/swap in progress)
105 Posts
I also suggest getting a rubber/nylon tube (like vacuum line), putting one end to your ear, and holding it close to the injectors to see if it's just injector tick you're hearing.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also suggest getting a rubber/nylon tube (like vacuum line), putting one end to your ear, and holding it close to the injectors to see if it's just injector tick you're hearing.
Thanks. I'm trying to learn as many tricks of the trade as I can. I'll give that a shot this weekend. When I took the accessory belt off I felt around to see if any of the pulleys felt loose. I noticed that the AC compressor pulley wiggles just slightly. Could that cause that background rubbing noise that can be heard in the first part of the video?

·
Registered
613 Posts
Yeah, if the pulleys are loose they will make noise. Testing the AC is easy enough, just engage/disable it. If the sound changes then you probably need a rebuilt compressor.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, if the pulleys are loose they will make noise. Testing the AC is easy enough, just engage/disable it. If the sound changes then you probably need a rebuilt compressor.
I'll give that a look today. I made a pact with myself that any and all work that needs to be done to the Supra I will do it myself. It's been going ok so far except for a very expensive half axle mistake. 😅 Rebuilding/replacing an air compressor doesn't seem too bad. So far the only thing that's seems intimidating is deep engine work and cracking open the diff.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I concur, sounds like a 2J. Source: MKIV NA owner. Sounds good, sounds healthy. I think the tick you hear is injectors clicking. @signalpuke have the right idea by improvising a mechanic stethoscope

·
Registered
21 Posts
From my experience I would have the valve lashes checked one of them is out of tolerance. This is what happen when you have 100k on a motor or you allow a domestic builder do head re-work on import head. (LOL) but all it is one of the valves is faintly tapping the shim ( incorrect tolerance).

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
From my experience I would have the valve lashes checked one of them is out of tolerance. This is what happen when you have 100k on a motor or you allow a domestic builder do head re-work on import head. (LOL) but all it is one of the valves is faintly tapping the shim ( incorrect tolerance).
Thanks for the reply and advice. I'm getting pretty good at working on the Supra platform but haven't dove into the engine too deeply. Would adjusting valve lashes be too difficult for the home garage?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No they are very easy with the right tools and patience. Get the trsm and check the clearance.
After watching some YouTube tutorials and reading the TRSM three times I finally feel confident enough to give it a shot. Going to pick up some feeler gauges and maybe some specialty tools so I don't have to remove the cams. Does anyone have a brand/set of tools that they recommend?

·
Registered
613 Posts
Most of the Harbor Freight stuff is actually pretty good now. Conversely, unless you have a Matco or whatever truck coming by once a week to replace tools, don't bother, it's all chinese shit now. If you have a shop, buy the warranty. If you don't, buy the budget (but not the bottom of the barrel).

·
Administrator
8,951 Posts
sounds mostly normal to be honest. They aren't silent motors. Sometimes the serp tensioner pulley or the damper is shot and needs to be replaced. They will exacerbate the tapping sound from the upper valvetrain.

Matt

Reactions: EUSup

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
While I was setting up for the valve clearance adjustments I decided to hunt down this slow oil leak that I thought was coming from my front main seal. After applying some UV dye I saw that it was coming down from above the FMS and tracked it down to the camshaft pulleys. Looks like both of the oil seals are leaking. Could it be that the last owner installed both of them incorrectly? Seems weird that both of them leaked at the same time. Thoughts? Pics below.
IMG_1982.jpg
IMG_1988.jpg

·
Administrator
8,951 Posts
The camshaft seals do fail and are pretty easy to replace. Also when installing them you need to run a light bead of toyota FIPG just under the humps where the front cam caps sit near the valve cover surface. Would prefer a cam cap leak to an FMS any day of the week...but either way...shits coming apart.

Reactions: EUSup
1 - 16 of 16 Posts