Supra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Hardtopper
13,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a journal bearing BEP S374turbocharger spinning down after an idle shut down (900rpm). This would be the same case with a regular BorgWarner S400SX turbo.

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
too long...can't wait. Was there a happy ending?

·
Señor Member
4,741 Posts
I call BS, vacuum on the exhaust.

J/K, sweet for a journal bearing turbo!

·
Hardtopper
13,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do these come in any other form other than JB?
No, only journal bearing. The only BB turbos offered by BorgWarner (also sold by BEP) are the EFR series.

One common misconception is that journal bearings don't spin as freely as a ball bearing. The average person will spin a journal bearing and then spin a ball bearing turbo with their finger and say that the journal bearing doesn't spin as much. In order for the journal bearing turbochargers to function properly they require oil pressure to float the shaft, which then the difference between the two will be minimal. The shaft floating in the oil would also helps absorb any vibrations in the rotating assembly. This is why you see some performance manufacturers use a single ball bearing in the front and a journal in the rear.

The only benefit of ball bearing would be its resistance to oil related failures over the traditional journal bearing structure. The only down side is that you cannot service many ball bearing units when the bearings do fail.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Hey Kirk, would you say that your hitting 19psi at around 5k? Looks like once the boost threshold is achieved it just goes haywire. If you bring 2nd gear to about 4k rpm and hover and then go WOT is it pretty instant? or do you end up with around 6K plus full boost? The reason I ask is because I don't have any local supras to ride in as a gauge on spool / and when the turbo comes alive at. I'm leaning towards the new s362FMW Borgwarner but if the spool is tolerable I may go larger.

·
Hardtopper
13,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Kirk, would you say that your hitting 19psi at around 5k? Looks like once the boost threshold is achieved it just goes haywire. If you bring 2nd gear to about 4k rpm and hover and then go WOT is it pretty instant? or do you end up with around 6K plus full boost? The reason I ask is because I don't have any local supras to ride in as a gauge on spool / and when the turbo comes alive at. I'm leaning towards the new s362FMW Borgwarner but if the spool is tolerable I may go larger.
Logs show 15psi by 4500rpm. For the power I am making one does not need a turbo this large, at all. The 362 would be great for those who want an instant spool with a max horsepower around 600-700 range.

I was going to install the 362 prototype this weekend but it sold to another Supra owner. I'll have one on in 2 weeks and will post my personal opinion on it.

·
**** Tuner
762 Posts
are you intrested in trading your 74 for a 6765? got a divided 1.15 turbine housing.. still in great shape and low miles.. let me know..

-Sam

·
ส็็็็็็&
919 Posts
Hey Kirk i bought a journal bearing 60-1 "garrett" turbo from ebay which i think is suspect. It definitly does NOT spin down like that from idle, mine will spin for maybe 15-20seconds. (even when it was new)

Is this normal for older tech turbos?

Ive been beating on it for ~15k miles now and it hasnt missed a beat, just seems a little laggy to me for a small turbo.

ive been looking into the borgwarners though, i definitely want to try one out next!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts